PDA

View Full Version : SKIING WITH TRIM TABS ??

Craig
08-11-2000, 06:17 AM
Anybody have any experience with trim tabs on a 16 that could tell me if they help with slower speed skiing (like for kids and wake boards, etc, etc.)? Will they allow you to maintain a slow speed like 18 - 20 mph w/o slowly picking up speed and having to constantly adjust? It seems like they would help a lot so I am considering a pair primarily for that reason. Don't want to spend the $ and be disappointed. Thanks for any help.

Bad Dog
08-11-2000, 10:33 AM
Craig:

I have an 18' Classic with trim tabs. Although the length is different, I think the concept is the same.

I do a good bit of wakeboarding at that 18-22 mph speed, which is the hardest speed to keep on a non-inboard, especially a Donzi. I've found the trim tabs do not really help in speed at all.

The solution I've found is in trimming the motor up. By trimming up 1/3-1/2 I can keep the bow up and the speed constant pretty well. Of course the downside is you have a really big wake.

Hope that helps.

Bret

------------------
Bret Pedigo
bret@emji.net

Craig
08-11-2000, 11:20 AM
Thanks Bret -- Maybe you've saved me some $!! I do usually ski with the unit all the way down for more power taking off. Recently got a lower pitch prop that helps a lot on take off so what you suggest may work for me. Might still be interested in tabs for the other reasons, but will try trimming up a bit for skiing. Thanks!

AVickers
08-11-2000, 02:03 PM
I'm running a 22' and the tabs help me keep the bow down. It seems to have no effect on the wake at that speed.

Without 'em, at wakeboard speed, there's so much bow sticking out there that I can't see ahead at all... I almost view using the tabs as a safety thing in this situation.

On my 18', seeing forward over a long snoot wasn't an issue so I didn't need 'em. Put the engine at 2200 and let 'er rip.

Although different, according to my son, the wake on both is superb.

Blewbyu
08-18-2000, 02:18 AM
I have an X18 w/Bennett 12"tabs.With Volvo 270 on 3rd pin out,boat airs out nicely for high speeds. Tabs 1/3 down for skiing and barefootin @30-45 mph.For boarding, I run tabs full down and throttle at 2200 rpm.It seems to hold that speed more evenly with the drag of full tabs and won't slide onto full plane as often as it does w/o tabs.With full tabs, 2200 gives a fairly sharp edge to wake, offering excellent ramp for boarder to get air.If I run the tabs up, stern drops and boast pushes water and labors-and wake caves in to foam on the edges-crappy for boarding, will snag the board if it's flat to water and suck it down.Donzi's with o/d's that have trim 'n tilt can do the whole thing w/trim button,but don't have the capability to balance boat if heavy wt on one side.Bottom line- buy the tabs.Deep V boats ALL need them. You won't regret it.

Christopher Gentile
08-18-2000, 10:25 PM
Craig
I have a sixteen with a set of bennet tabs. I love them, and use them alot. They are great when you have freinds at different weights riding with you. You can level the boat out and drop the nose quick. Have not used them for skiing yet how ever they set the boat up nice for that 20 to 30mph range. Good luck.

Craig
08-19-2000, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all the input. Think I'm going to need a pair of tabs. Cool! No more "You sit there, and you sit there, and I'll lean to the left a little..."

roadtrip
08-20-2000, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Craig:
Thanks for all the input. Think I'm going to need a pair of tabs. Cool! No more "You sit there, and you sit there, and I'll lean to the left a little..."

Hey Craig,
I had a 16 with tabs for a couple of years and just sold it to a good friend who loves it. While they are good for weight adjustment and keeping the nose down in choppy water, they can cause problems if they are not all they way up when pulling a skiier or tuber. I call it "hooking a tab!"
Everything is going fine and happy, then the skiier crosses the wake and the change in the direction causes the boat to lean slightly, the lowered tab grabs the water, and suddenly you have got a 20n degree list.
A little unsettling. I would buy them for overall handling, but don't expect any benefits for pulling water toys. Good luck

GeneD
08-20-2000, 10:19 PM
Hey,
This is sounding like something we should get Chris, our new Naval Engineer, to check out.
Question: What effect does the use of positive trim on trim tabs have on cornering/steering in a deep "V" hull?
Answer: Hooking?

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida