PDA

View Full Version : fuel tanks and attach points

WOT-sup
04-18-2002, 10:11 PM
Getting ready to buy a replacement fuel tank for my 18’ project. The debate over plastic vs. metal fuel tanks not withstanding, I’m leaning towards buying a tank from RDS Manufacturing. They are apparently the manufacturer that builds the aluminum tanks that Donzi uses for the current production Classic 18.

I like the idea of ‘L brackets’ welded to the tank to form flanges to use as attach points for securing the tank directly to the stringers. RDS said they would be glad to attaché a set of these L’s to a tank, just submit a drawing.

From any of you guys that have done this, any input on location, size, other considerations for this mod, etc?? .

Also, anyone familiar with RDS in general? Good product??

Been away from the project for awhile, news update to follow as soon as there is some news to update!

CDMA
04-18-2002, 10:13 PM
I had similar to what you describe done on my tank. I don't have the measurements or anything because I just brought them the boat but it worked real well. Was real pleased.

Chris

Vector calculus take home test...page 102... :confused:

CDMA
04-18-2002, 10:15 PM
P.S Foaming in a tank is a commonly done thing and it is a real bad idea. Ask any marine surveyor. Even aluminum tanks can get real nasty real quick.

Chris

Why did someone invent a triple intergral?

WOT-sup
04-18-2002, 10:26 PM
Chris,

I think the triple intergral was invented to get more performance than the twin intergral once they figured how to hang 'em on the transom.

Maybe not.

Greg
04-19-2002, 08:32 AM
Wot-sup, I think we are at about the same spot in our projects. Do you have the name of a person to contact at RDS Manufacturing? I am preparing to do the stringers and bulkheads hopefully in the next week or so.

Rootsy
04-19-2002, 02:06 PM
a triple integral? to find the volume under a surface defined by an equation :D MY question is... why the heck did i have to take 3 years of calc, differential equations and linear algebra that i rarely use???? (actually it was all useful and still is :p )

AAGHHH THE VOICES... MAKE EM STOP!!!

seano
04-19-2002, 02:23 PM
See David Pascoe's site Yacht Survey (http://www.yachtsurvey.com)

He does quite a good job pointing out the best way to install a fuel tank...and yes, it seems that foaming in an aluminum tank is probably the worst thing you can do...

Dr. Dan
04-21-2002, 08:08 AM
Seano, neat site! :cool: Thanks for sharing...Doc

WOT-sup
04-21-2002, 09:56 PM
Tanks for the responses…good info from all!

With the bad press about foaming-in aluminum tanks (PBR has been blasting it for years, understand ABYC recommends against it, etc.) I’m a little curious how these belly tanks and installations (L-brackets and thru-stringer bolts) are holding up when subject to real world conditions.

Any problems with tanks expanding/contracting from fuel load (while sitting on plastic spacers and resting on the hull bottom) while held rigidly in place via stringer bolts? How about hull-flex with these tanks that aren’t going to move? Any problems?
Do these L-brackets handle the load OK without problems to them or tank seams?

Just something to think about with the change from the old installation standard; hope the answers are easy.

Greg- RDS phone is 850-584-6898. Spoke to Sam and Gerald. Saw your post: transom looks good; sounds like you’re making progress. I hope to resume soon. Where is Woodstock?

Brad