PDA

View Full Version : Waleyetwo How’s The Blackhawk

Looped
01-26-2001, 07:28 AM
Waleyetwo,
How do you like the Blackhawk? It looks like a sweet drive, was “99” the last year of them? The only bad thing that I heard about them was that they were placed too high up on the transom from the boat manufacturers. The design of the drive was to allow the Engine to be placed lower in the hull to give more stability. Most Manufacturers did not do this so they ended up giving the drive a bad rap stating that the boat would become too squirrelly http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif at top end. Does anyone know how long these drives were in production and what the reliability was/is on them?

Thanks again,
Craig

EricG
01-26-2001, 11:02 AM
According to the Mercuiser Microfiche page, they were only produced in 94/95....

EG

Len
01-26-2001, 12:09 PM
...link... http://www.sterndrives.com/bulletins/mc/93/EN_019.PDF

Think you need ADOBE Acrobat- PDF

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 01-26-2001).]

Looped
01-26-2001, 03:08 PM
Very interesting Len. Doesn't look like they recommend it for a "69" 18' with strakes that run all the way back to the transom. Then again, they don’t recommend anything that they did not come up with.

Thanks!
Craig

roadtrip
01-26-2001, 03:50 PM
Hey Waleye2,
How is it to water ski behind that thing?
Scuba or snorkel anyone? Pretty cool rig. I've seen the Blackhawk anniversary edition sitting on a trailer. Looked very ominous and mean, but I would love to see one run. Maybe somebody will show up at the Awakening of the Horses. Lot of 'em on the market as of late. Might have to consider it as my second Donzi. Anyone with a blackhawk, I sure would love to hear an honest appraisal of this rig. thanks, Todd

[This message has been edited by roadtrip (edited 01-26-2001).]

roadtrip
01-26-2001, 11:03 PM
Sorry all for rehashing an old topic,
Spent some time tonight looking at old postings for blackhawk information. Plenty out there. Very interesting. Still would like to talk to someone who has one... Todd

waleyetwo
01-27-2001, 09:37 AM
well looped to answer some of you questions thereare a lot of misconceptions on the blackhawk.i got in touch with gary meisenburg from merc he was one of the guys that developed this drive it's his baby and he said that there is a lot of bull out there on his drive.now i'mquoting from gary.now he told me were to put the x-dem and he told me to beef the whole trnsom like two and three quarters i believe cant everything but i have the core in my car so i could ck it.then he told me to run pvc piping split down the middle and lay them along the stringers and glass them in.this will stop the hull from twisting and getting squirrelly.then he told me to beef the motor mounts.if you look at the pic's you can see all of this.as the year of the drive i ordered it in the begining of 98 and got it a year later they said that 99 was more advanced bigger bearing and fixed some of the problems that it had as far as height they were not to high they were to low thats why if you complained they would put a bravo on and it was fine they put the hawk were the bravo went and that is a problem.as far as water sking no way ck out the tail it handels very well you can take your hands off the wheel at 65 70 but when you push it up from there you should hold on.i'm still dialing it in it needs props to get the extra 250 350 rpm and i'm going to put the tabs back on becuse it dont like 30 to say 50 mph so i think the tabs will fix that.it likes to go 60 and up.and thats ok becuselake winni is big.hope i answerd some of your quesions.oh and that guy gary from merc he's got a talon with a blackhawk and it goes around 100 mph and he's not done yet.

Tom on Lanier
01-27-2001, 11:34 AM
Todd - check out the list of Registered Member Boats. Look at Scot Eglas from Cadillac, Michigan. I recall that this boat was for sale a few months ago. Would require a "Road Trip" to get it!
There were a couple Black Hawks at the Potofino last year and probably will be this year also.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"