PDA

View Full Version : 1993 classic18

oldLenny
08-10-2000, 05:51 PM
I am travelling, (if worth it) to Seattle on Saturday to look at a 1993 classic 18. Boat is in the Boat Trader online. I talked to the "salesman" and was told that it has not been used since 1996, does not have an hour meter on it...hmmm but was only ever used twice. All original gelcoat/finishing etc. The part that has me wondering is it has a King Cobra drive, ( I have always liked the black stuff)and a 351 windsor. I wanted a 350 chev. Does this set-up cause any concern with people out there? Are there any inherent problems on the horizon with this set-up? I do not plan on "hot-rodding" this engine. I would keep it a stock set-up. I don't want it tho if I cant see lower to mid 60's. As well, I don't have any desire to put a pile of money into a drive and engine that wasn't my first choice. What do you guys think? They want $15,900 for it but are open to offers. We don't have duty on impoting US boats anymore here so that is not an issue. Just $200 for a Federal inspection of the US trailer,and our two taxes (14% total)on the converted dollar value of the boats bill of sale in Canadian funds. If I got it for $14g it would cost me about $23,500 Canadian complete, in my yard. A "new" 1999 one in Ontario (the other side of Canada)will run me $49,995.00 plus shipping and the 2 taxes. About $57,000.00 when all is said and done. A $34,000 dollar savings is alright with me. Keep in mind that if I wait and "look around" in the fall, the $15g US price tag is common on clean Chev powered Donzi's, with low hours. By the way, how are these boats in a medium chop/sea? How are they in a following sea/surfing. Is there any tendancy to give you an unwanted thrill in situations other than chine-walk and extreme listing in hard turns. Would you put a family of 4 in one and go out for the day with confidence? Do they like to "pop up" in bad weather. (be noticeably bouyant, a good thing here) What is their minimum plane speed? I need to ask a fair amount of questions here as if I go see this one, on Lake Union, you can be sure I won't find all the right weather conditions to support my decision. Are they decent for a weekend of tubing and boarding without draining the cockpit after a sudden slow down/turn etc. I don't want to see the inside getting wet...Comments please...

RickR
08-10-2000, 06:18 PM
Something is wrong with your info.
I do not think OMC used Ford in 1993. I thought 1990 was the last year.

I have had a 18 (For Sale) with the (late Model,after 1990)King Cobra for 7 years and I think it is a better drive than the Bravo (I have a 1995 Bravo)
Of course parts availability is better with a Merc procuct

The 18 Classic can handle rough water better than any other 18' Fiberglass boat due to the Deep V, but this also causes her to have a VERY wet ride.
A family of 4 is going to be awfull crowded in a Classic.

If you stop too quickly you WILL get water over the transom.
Good Luck

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

EricG
08-10-2000, 07:13 PM
Lenny,
I know this boat!!! It's been for sale for a long time....It used to be at a dealer called Rebel Marine on lake union (the short-lived Seattle Donzi dealer). Now it's at a dealer next door. Rebel wanted $17,900 for it, so this dealer is coming down slowly. Based on the fact that they have had it for so long, I would assume they would come down even more.

It is an OMC King Cobra, and it does indeed have a 351 in it. No Thru-hull exhaust, and I recall it having an hour gauge somewhere (possibley under the hatch) that had around 50 hours on it. The first time I looked at the boat it hadn't been detailed, so it was quite dirty and needed some serious buffing, since then it has been cleaned up and does look really nice. It's Teal - BTW.

I considered buying it about a year ago, but decided to look for an older one that already had the exhaust, etc. Then I ended up buying my Z21 - which I haven't regretted, although now I want a 16/18 project boat too.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I keep my boat just up the lake from the dealer. I'm going to be out of town Saturday, or I'd offer a ride. Good luck!

EG

EricG
08-16-2000, 10:21 AM
Lenny - did you ever go look at the boat? Keep us posted....EG

Blewbyu
08-17-2000, 05:07 AM
Lenny- If you come down to Seattle Aug 18 Saturday-give me a ring in Bellevue just across Lake Washington-I'd be happy to give you a ride in my '74 X-18/Volvo 270/290/SBC 385HP.Believe it's a little lower in the nose than the classic- but it will give you a good comparison.I'll be on vacation thru Aug 26-happy to give ya a ride anytime till then.Email me if you coming down.
Regards-Jeff Moore

oldLenny
08-17-2000, 08:39 AM
couldn't get to Seattle till 2:30pm on a Saturday cuz the "Fast Cat" doesn't leave Victoria and arrive there till then. Then I have to clear customs. That shouldn't take any time but you can be sure it will be after 3pm by then and then I had to get a cab to the marina. It wasn't going to work. The dealer closes at 4pm and I wanted to go for a ride and beat on it a bit and get the feel of these things. I'll keep you posted. I don't like the idea of no thru-hull exhaust, Corsa,Gil,Quick&Quiet etc and I am not fond of Non-Chev power...Thanks for the "ride offer" and I'll be in touch.