PDA

View Full Version : Lake Cumberland Poker Run

Byron
08-09-2000, 11:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in coming to Lake Cumberland on the weekend of september 9th to run the Poker run. My brother and i will be running our 22 classic and would love to meet some of the members and show you guys our lake!! If your curious where Lake Cumberland is...it's on the Kentucky-Tennessee border dead in the middle (east/west) of kentucky. This seems to be a fairly central location. I hope theres some interest!!!

Byron
supraski@iwon.com

Tom on Lanier
08-10-2000, 04:32 AM
Byron , Thanks for the post. I understand that Cumberland is a beatiful lake and would love to attend. Can't make it this year as I will be in Northern Michigan that weekend. You're right that this seems like an excellent location for a great Donzi gathering and I wouldn't need much of an excuse to go there. Please post any other events that may happen on Cumberland. Maybe next year.

------------------
Tom

Byron
08-10-2000, 08:27 AM
Tom,
Are there any event happening on Lanier before the end of the season? My girlfriends sister lives right near Lake Alatoona and I would love to bring my boat down and see some of the lakes in that area!! By the way I go to Cumberland almost every weekend...so if you, or anyone else is up for a trip there just let me know!!

Bandit
08-10-2000, 11:54 AM
I've got a place on Cumberland and I'll be attending the Poker Run.

I missed the one last year but I heard they had some great prizes $$$ and a large turnout.

I was going to pull my Donzi behind my houseboat "Bandit" from the Somerset end of the lake to Jamestown and stay on it but a friend of mine that is also running in the poker run got a couple rooms at the hotel in the marina.

For those of you that haven't seen this lake you need to come and enjoy the 1,200 mi. of shoreline.

------------------
Bandit...

Byron
08-10-2000, 04:49 PM
I'll be down this weekend. If you are going to be there we should try and meet up. I usually hang out around Connely Bottom, but I would'nt mind a trip up to the party cove in South Fork. Let me know. If not I will see you at the Poker Run.

Byron
supraski@iwon.com

Tom on Lanier
08-10-2000, 09:12 PM
Byron, It just so happens that there is a "mongo" poker run on Lake Lanier on Saturday, Aug.26th. I have attended several in other years and they limit registrants to about 200. The location is changed this year, to the big bay in front of the dam, and the limit has been increased to 300!
They do the poker thing but also do a time/distance contest at the same time so you have two ways to win something (a 30'Mariah). You register in one of three classes by the speed you want to try to average: 10mph,20mph or 40mph. Registration fee is $50 I believe.
The event is run by a fellow named Barkley Gibb out of Lanier Harbor Marina and he can be reached at the marina at 770 945 2884.
I would be pushing this more but , personally, will be out of town that weekend.
Hey, check out the Donzi Doings at Lake Eufaula the following weekend, Sep 2,3and 4. That's just down the road from Lanier. More people of like mind at this one. See the "Labor Day" posts on this site for info.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

Bandit
08-11-2000, 07:21 AM
Byron,

I'll be on the lake this weekend but I'm not sure on the spot yet.

I might hit the party cove on Sun. or up White Oak behind the island in my Donzi or I might just take the houseboat out. My houseboat is a 45' black/white Nautaline w/ twin 318's.

I often goto Connely Bottom to eat lunch and I'll be passing by there Labor Day weekend on my way to 76 Falls. I've got a 30' red/white Black Widow, "Tax Tips" but there's another one on the lake "Infatuation".

I keep my houseboat moored at the Somerset Boat Club up Pitman Creek, the last boat in the Club, so if you're up that way stop by.

------------------
Bandit...

roadtrip
08-14-2000, 10:08 PM
Cumberland rocks! Most beautiful lake on the planet. We have been renting houseboats out of State Dock for fourteen years. I am in the process of getting back into a Donzi 22 as we speak and I have a good friend with a 16. We typicaly make it up there from Texas in mid-July and the first part of August. Let's hook up next summer. Anybody thinking about the poker run, GO. The lake is awesome....

Byron
08-15-2000, 01:09 PM
Roadtrip,
I must agree that Cumberland is one of the most beautiful lakes I've been to.....however, I haven't been out west yet.
My brother and I have an 87 22 Classic if you have any questions. Look me up when you come up next year.

Byron
supraski@iwon.com