PDA

View Full Version : Too much snow, it's time for some sun !!!

boxy
01-24-2001, 10:28 AM
There is a possibility that we are heading to Fort Myers during the middle of March, (I know Gene, wrong coast) Does anybody have any recreation suggestions, (boating, or otherwise) and when is Portofino ?

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

RickR
01-24-2001, 11:47 AM
Are you going to have your boat with you?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

boxy
01-24-2001, 01:37 PM
No, I'm sending my Dad out to the back bays with a charter captain the week before I fly down with my wife and daughter, but we will probably rent something (CC, deck boat) for a couple of days. My understanding of the area is that there is lots of boating to be done between the barrier islands and the mainland.

------------------
boxy
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

Peter Beck
01-24-2001, 03:49 PM
Boxy my family and I are going down to fory Myers to visit my father around the 19th (no boat) We will be south Fort myers just off Rt41!! Where about are you going to be?

boxy
01-24-2001, 08:31 PM
Peter, if we make it (trying to swing free flights through Air Canada Aeroplan miles) we will be saying at a condo on Estero Blvd. I'll be in touch if things work out. I'd love to hook up and talk boats and hockey in the sunny south.

------------------
boxy
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

RickR
01-25-2001, 07:12 AM
Boxy
There is a boat show in Ft Meyers in March.
I have never been there but the Edison Museum is in Ft Meyers.

If you go offshore on a calm day, Cayo Costa is the place. I'll get some pics out and post them. Just guessing but about 25 miles north of the lighthouse.

The Southern tip of Sanibel, near the lighthouse is the hangout for locals.

Sanibel Island Resort (in Ft Meyers) is a little pricey but a great place for lunch.

My wife and I will be 60 miles north (by water) of there in March. Mabe we can meet up at Fisherman's Village in Punta Gorda. They can shop and we can have a cold one http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

BTW Auto touring go to Boca Grande, don't miss the Lighthouse or the iguanas @ Whiddens Marina.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 01-25-2001).]

boxy
01-26-2001, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the info guys, we will be in Fort Myers Beach from March 12 till the 22. I'll post some contact info once I get it, and hopefully we can hook up for a couple of cold adult beverages.

------------------
boxy
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

Rob
01-27-2001, 07:57 PM
Ahh, this conjures up some great images in my mind. My parents used to keep their sailboat in Punta Gorda, and I have a friend living in Cape Coral that I visit from time to time.

Absolutely agree with Rick on Cayo Costa State Park. Neat beach , beautiful island. BTW, if you find a wallet with $300 on the beach, its mine. I lost it a few years ago when I jumped in the water with my wallet in my swimsuit.

If you have a boat, go to Cabbage Key. Another cool island, and a good place to get a hamburger and leave your autographed dollar bill (just don't believe the Jimmy Buffet cheeseburger in paradise claim-it ain't true). The island used to be owned by the fiction author Mary Roberts Rhinehart. The resturaunt is located in the house she originally built.

Another good watering hole is Dave and Nicole Nichols' Double Nichol Pub in St. James City. I found this place on a motorcyle tour with my Cape Coral buddy. Good food and atmosphere, and accessible by water on the Monroe Canal (this was the same trip where I first met Gene Drago and took the infamous and infintely enjoyable Indian River tour detailed in an earlier post).

Sanibel, Gasparilla--all in all, this is simply a great cruising area. Lots of interesting spots to see, charming and tasty places to eat. Hope you have access to a boat so you can make the most of your trip. If not, take the road tour, and I will guarantee you still will not be disapointed.

Emmo
02-04-2001, 11:36 PM
I say ditto on Cayo Costa State Park (the part on La Costa). When I lived in Ft. Myers, I used to go out there all the time. If you don't end up renting a boat, you can still take a water taxi out there, best from Pine Island. Rent the boat from Pine Island, too. If you rent a boat in Ft. Myers, it will take you over an hour to get out to the gulf. The cabins are only $20 per night and the island is the best on the Lee Island coast. Just before La Costa is Cabbage Key and the cheeseburgers are good and Jimmy Buffett did almost run over me one time in his flying boat, but he says the cheeseburger in paradise is in Baldwin County Alabama. Boca Grande on Gasparilla is nice especially if the wife is too high maintenance for La Costa.

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>