PDA

View Full Version : 1973 18' Classic with Berkeley Jet

Jesse B
01-24-2001, 10:02 AM
Does anybody have any information on this 1973 Classic with the Berkeley Jet? Please advise. Thanks!

BigGrizzly
01-24-2001, 06:26 PM
Saw one once. Engine was a was a V drive configuration to drive the pump. Guy said it ran about 50 mph. At high speed it was hard to controle, I never road in it. When he gassed it the boat stood up on the transom then the bow fell and everthing behind him got wet. that all I know we never saw him after that.
Randy

Jesse B
01-25-2001, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the reply. That sounds bad. I've never experienced any of the items you mentioned. It does get a bit unstable at the higher speeds though. I've had it at 60mph+. If I get the boat going and crank the pump all the way to one side while giving it plenty of gas, it'll skip the tail end of the boat around. It's fun to drive. Plenty of low end power. I wouldn't mind if the boat had mercruiser though. Later

DonziDave
01-25-2001, 11:15 AM
There were a couple early 70's model 18's here on Lake Wylie with Berkley's powered by Holman Moody 351 Windsor engines. Part of their experimenting days.
One of these set-ups is still on the lake.
Problems were typical of early jets. i.e. very inefficient - tons of horsepower needed for not much speed and nonexistent low speed handling. Sorry just not my cup of tea.

Jesse B
01-25-2001, 11:31 AM
Not my particular cup of tea either. I need a propeller! Thanks!