PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Question

CnV & Family
04-16-2002, 07:44 PM
On our 97 I made a note on the black pinstriping that borders the teal stripes. Is that supposed to be painted on or is it an adhesive strip? Ours looks like it is an adhesive strip and I'm debating on having it removed and having the border lines painted on.

Is this wise or should I simply leave it alone?

-C

FASTEDDIE
04-16-2002, 08:19 PM
That black edging is available in different widths from any automotive supply house in 100'rolls. I had mine redone and after one year I noticed a funny clear plastic seal lifting in
certain areas of the edge. Upon close examination I found that the person who had installed it the year before, had not removed the clear plastic protective layer after it was installed. I brought it back to the body shop and they used an electric razor that heats up to remove the edging and replaced it and removed the protective film and it looked great.You can wax right over it and your all set. Painting is a big deal, detailing tape is simple and you can do it in a few hours. :D :D :D

Magic Float
04-16-2002, 08:42 PM
Your 97 would be tape. In the mid 80's they were actually hand painted,tough to do now. The 18 and 22 2002 models I just got in have painted sripes with clear coat over them.Dealer cost upgrade of $445 but to me well worth it,we are talking classic here. Like the Harley guys say" If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand" We will have our 18 and 22 at AOTH,hope to see you there.

Tomahawk
04-17-2002, 10:34 PM
Magic and C. - hope to see you both at my place on Lanier on the 28th. AOTH warm up, planning and Lanier cruise and chew.

Magic Float
04-18-2002, 07:29 AM
We had planned to come but got a last minute opportunity to go to the Daytona races. Have fun over there while Karen and I pull for the 2 new F-2 38ZR's