PDA

View Full Version : Bravo question/problem

seano
08-09-2000, 06:34 AM
Boat's running great, but being the constant tinkerer, I did notice on thing this weekend though... The starboard motor does not turn as high as the port motor. I't only spinning 4600-4700 where the port motor is spinning 4900. Any thoughts?

Being an ex-outboard guy I though that the counter-rotating(starboard) engine would not turn as many RMPs as the port(spinning right) engine. Is this true? I know the Bravos are built differently than my 2.4 Bridgeports, but can't figure this one out.

Also, the boat comes out of the water after every weekend and is flushed, but when I go back to it and spin the props by hand, the starboard prop does not spin freely...it is actually very stiff, and needs to be "broken loose"---while the port prop spins without any problem at all. Could there be a problem in my drive?

Forrest
08-09-2000, 09:38 AM
That's just what I like about twin engines. You can become neurotic always worrying about why one engine turns slightly less than the other. If both engines turned the same RPM in the past, you can figure that there must be something needing a bit of adjustment on the slow engine. Check plugs, total timing, etc, etc.

As for the starboard Bravo prop sticking. I would guess that somehow the cone clutch is sticking or slighlty draging in forward or reverse. Anyway, drain some oil out of the bottom of the drive an make sure that it doesn't contain any water or metal particles. Maybe you just need a cable adjustment.

------------------
Forrest

seano
08-09-2000, 11:41 AM
Thanks Forrest,

I'll check the fluid and adjustment this weekend...come to think of it, it may be the adjustment.

RickR
08-09-2000, 02:02 PM
Swap tachs(just the pickup wire) and see what the results are. They all read different.
Do they sound schincronized?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>