PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Longevity

EricG
01-23-2001, 11:26 AM
I've got a '88 350 Mag/Alpha setup with just over 500 hours on it....I've got this terrible feeling that the drive's days are numbered....so, is there anything I should be doing from a maintenance standpoint to try to save it (other than changing the drive oil frequently...)

Thanks!!

EG

wintersux
01-23-2001, 11:32 AM
Severity of use has much to do with it. Put power to the drive slowly, watch your "flight" time(re-entry is tough on outdrives) and regular service to the gear lube. Have someone pull the top off to look at the top bearing. The bearing wear will indicate how the outdrive is doing also. And Eric, do you have a manual with your Z?

EricG
01-23-2001, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info....

As far as a manual, I wish I did....apparently the previous owner(s) weren't big on documentation. If you find one to copy, let me know, I may be willing to split the duplication cost with you....

EG

PaulO
01-23-2001, 01:37 PM
Eric,
Also, add a drive shower. Did the research and this is where I got mine: http://www.driveshowers.com/faq.htm
PaulO

wintersux
01-23-2001, 03:08 PM
Maybe someone will see this posting or my posting and have one for duplication. It would be good to have.

RickR
01-23-2001, 05:16 PM
EricG
Use a synthetic gear lube like Merc's High Perf, or Lubrimatics new Synthetic.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>