PDA

View Full Version : 1981 Hornet III

Dandy Dan
08-08-2000, 12:21 AM
I am looking for info on a Hornet III with a 454. I.E. is it a good rough water boat? Is a performance upgrade worth the money? How many were made in 1981? Whats the difference between the Hornet II and Hornet III? Is the hull still manufactured today? Where can I find options for the 1981 year? Was the 454 the most powerful engine?

Forrest
08-08-2000, 10:51 AM
The Hornet series of Donzis are great boats. Though Hornets are no longer made, the original Hornet was 19 feet, the Hornet II was 20 feet, and I think that the Hornet III was close to 21 feet. Because of their huge bow flair, Hornets are the driest Donzis that you will ever ride in. I have a Hornet II with a 427-inch Chevy with a TRS drive and it easily runs in the mid-sixtys with a load of people. Compared to an 18 Donzi, the Hornet feels like a tank. You sit deeper inside of the boat and there is room to streach out. I've even gone SCUBA diving off of my Hornet II. You can't go wrong with a Hornet of any model, but don't buy any Hornet if you want that close to the water feeling that you get in a 16 or 18 Donzi. Rather buy a Hornet if you want to go out on days that are to rough for a 16 or 18 Donzi. Yea, it takes rough water *very* well.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 08-08-2000).]