PDA

View Full Version : speedmaster/prop question

Stuart
04-15-2002, 03:57 PM
My problem; I have social pressure to get some kind of hole shot. I have none now. Chi-Chi has a redone Speedmaster in his garage and plans to mate it to his newly rebuilt 350. He is trying to invest past the locals. The race is on.

My set up; 1973 2+3, Chevy 350, Holy 750, Victor Jr. Intake, Melling C-400-P cam, Stainless Marine Exhaust, Volvo 270 with Speedmaster. I am brutally aware that the motor set up is not ideal (Do I need to change to a dual plane and 650?), Or, can I fix it with a decent prop? I know my prop is not right. I also know that the hub is not normal, something about the speedmaster spline shaft.
I had a torque problem so I installed some Bennett trim tabs.

Problem #2; What oil do I need in the speedmaster and how often does it need to be changed?

Problem #3; My steering is Hynautic and had two external cylinders. I took one off (with local adviceand because the plastic rings inside were melted). The steering is still not real responsive. My problem may be the steering pump. If I replace the pump, is there something else that needs to be done? Or is this another booby-trap left over from the past owners?

Currently fixing the electrical system: Booby-trap #3.

CDMA
04-15-2002, 06:04 PM
Be really careful with that speedmaster escpecially holeshot. If you hammer it out of the hole it only is a matter of time. Those volvo's(speedmasters are not as strong as conventional ones) are strong but like bravo's you can break them and holeshots is the easiest way.

Chris

GEOO
04-15-2002, 08:37 PM
1) Wear a life jacket.
2)Fix the steering before the race.
3) Most Volvo Speedmasters have Merc. size splines. Find a good over the hub merc outboard prop. The smaller the diameter the better. high rake for bow lift.
4)I belive they take gear lube. Change often. and check for wate leaks.
5) Try moving weight back in the boat or run a sand bag in the back. This will allow you to lift the bow with less trim.
350 hp should hit 75mph. GEOO

Kent Perroux
04-16-2002, 08:01 AM
Stuart,

Do you still have the extra external ram you removed? I might be interested in it.

Kent (321) 426-1222

Stuart
04-16-2002, 09:14 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips.

CDMA – Thanks for the heads up. I do not want to break the thing. Chi-Chi had his unit redone at some price he would not fully disclose. I think $2000+ and more than a year at the shop. (some place in New Orleans. The guy there is said to have an awesome 18.

GEOO – What kind of steering is normal for 18’s? Is the hydraulic system the way to go? Your right, I think I have an OMC prop on a Merc. Hub. What size and pitch would you recommend? Once I get up, the boat is quick, but 75 I thought was out of reach. The cam that came with the boat was a Performer 272 and it was faster then, but I had reversion problems. Thought it was the old logs, so I changed to the Stainless Marine exhaust, then the cam.

Kent- I'm Keeping the second as a spare. If I change out the steering, I'll let you have it.
Thanks again.

Still learning from the inside out.

CDMA
04-16-2002, 09:35 AM
Yeah that guy you are referring to is...oh what's his name. Escapes me now. Excellent for volvo parts. I heard he has like nickel plated EVERYTHING in his engine compartment and has about 50K in the boat.

Don't think 75 is to far out of reach. Short of Steve Marr's blackhawk 18 I think the volvo speedmaster is the fastest most efficient drive for an 18. The frontal area is next to none. I would guess with 350-375 honest crank HP would get you real close to 75

Be careful though. They are real tough to find. And I am good at finding stuff wink wink wink

Chris

Forrest
04-16-2002, 09:55 AM
Stuart - Don't tell me that you are hangin' out with GeneS (owner of the X-18 named Chi-Chi)! eek! Tell GeneS he need to make a post every once and a while.

That guy in New Orleans is also named Gene and he owns Wheel and Rudder Marine (http://www.volvopentaparts.com/) and he really knows his Volvo stuff.

Good luck with your soon-to-be Volvo e-drive lower unit! You ought to be really fast with it!!! :D :cool:

GEOO
04-16-2002, 11:17 AM
My X-18 with a 383ci 360-385 hp ran 67 mph with a 24" Volvo Ultra cupped prop on a Volvo 290 outdrive approx. 5500-5600 rpms. The next day, with no other changes, I installed The E:Drive and a Mazco RE 14 1/2" x 24" the boat radared at 78 and 79.2 mph, approx 5500-5600 rpm. Extrenal Sterring is a must!! I had a Dual Ram full external. The boat was uncontrolable without it. The Standard drive was a approx. 1:61 and the E:drive was approx. 1:31 ratio. Call me if you have any questions, I kept most of my notes. GEOO (203)258-5222

Stuart
04-16-2002, 03:28 PM
CDMA – I heard 50K too. Would have seen it myself but Chi-Chi snuck down the coast. You know, tryin to get the jump.

Forrest – Come on over to P-cola for the Blue Angle show at the Beach. Do you run in the salt water? I met a dude with a 16’ outboard here. That makes 5 classics that I know of in the area. I’ll tell GeneS to get with the program. He so happens to have a beach house.

GEOO – My external cylinders have square ends. Not real attractive. What type and where are yours fixed? When my unit is tilted up the cylinders are right in front of the exhaust. Thus, the problem with the plastic seals. I have experienced some difficulty with one cylinder at 4500+ rpms at times. Sounds like you know what I mean.
Where do I find the Mazco prop?

RPD
04-16-2002, 09:12 PM
Stuart.... when it comes to holeshot, that 16 OB will get you everytime... top end though, I'll just watch you run away.... as for Mazco, try http://www.mazcoprops.com .... also need to talk to you about small boat access at PYC, let's get together and discuss, Tuesday evenings are good.

GEOO
04-17-2002, 09:55 AM
Latham Marine Steering.
Mazco, Approx. $ 600.00 (314)343-9911.
Or you can use any Merc. over the hub exhaust outboard prop. GEOO

Stuart
04-17-2002, 10:56 AM
Bob, Lets start the Donzi movement at the club.
Call me.

GEOO - Thanks. Looks like I may have to hang in with Chi-Chi and continue to invest, prop, steering, lifejacket.

oceanwarrior
04-20-2002, 08:38 PM
I don't know if this info will help pr or not, but I rigged my first boat back in 1982.It was a 72' 2+3 350-375hp with a brand new 270 speedmaster complete out of the box. Everything was going along great until I tried my first holeshot. The bow would lift, the prop would blow out, and I would go no where.After much testing I called Volvo tech. They suggested welding a 3" extension to the back of the cavitation plate. I did and it completely solved the problem. From that day on I could mash the throttle and always got great holeshots when needed. I was turning a Spinelli 3 blade 13 3/4x 23 and saw consistant 74 mph on a Nordskog speedo. I believe the spline is referred to as a Merc-1 style, and I also heard high pitch Merc O/B solid hub chopper props work best. Good luck.

Stuart
04-22-2002, 08:54 AM
Thanks OceanWarrior.
I think the dude in New Orleans said something to Chi-Chi on that. I'll check it out further.