PDA

View Full Version : Water pick ups, what are my options

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-15-2002, 02:26 PM
The 26ZX has the Bravo I with the low water pick up only, the nose of the bullet. I have heard two versions as of why, 1 the double step needs a lower pick up, 2 being Merc made a mistake the 2001 model year (only) and realized the problems it was causing over the good, then developed the X with dual side and bottom pick ups, yes beefier gears and shaft etc.

Yesterday returning to the ramp, two club guys ahead of me, 3 at the dock tied up waiting for the dual ramp. Low Tide, barely enough water I sucked up some mud, I knew it instantly, saw the gauge pass 180 and shut her down and a friend helped me to the dock. In the real world I never should have turned, dock and ramp full I should have stayed out in good water and waited. Plus I knew the tides from my GPS, my error. Once home I pulled hoses one by one, the vilian was the first hose from the drive, packed solid. Hose her out, wet vac'd the bildge, good to go. :)
I am glad I caught it and not the auto shut down, or more damage might have been done.
My buddy with same drive (he was in front of me)picked up something and the thermostat stuck open.

So what other options are there without replacing the lower for the dual water pick ups on the Bravo X??? A fellow club member swears a strainer would have helped me from total blockage, thoughts on this one???
A strainer from what I have read will not help with the sand or the intercoastal black muck.
Plus my Merc Mechanic tried to explain to me the porting of the block in the 502 was big holes and most will pass....

Thanks as always in advance.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
04-15-2002, 06:55 PM
Bryan, So far I sucked up half the Gulf and some of my dirt, I did this twice. I took the boat out in to open water and ran the hell out of her she passed. My sea striner is being installed next week. A must with all lower pick ups. The 502 block does have big ports but I don't want to take a chance.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-15-2002, 07:14 PM
Hi Frank, I guess I will see your strainer in KY...
I triple checked everything today, she is fine, Nancy ordered me a drive shower, so that is my next project for this this week.
Bryan

Magic Float
04-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Bryan,the sea strainer will help a bunch but will not totally solve you problem if you always boat under those conditions. You are right that Merc kind of screwed up on the low pickups but they don't want to admit it, opens up too many cans of worms. How is your relationship with your dealer? We were able a couple years ago to get a new side water pickup housing on a Formula with a similar problem. It is a one on one situation that has to involve the selling dealer,might be worth a shot.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-15-2002, 07:41 PM
Magic, all the 2001 26ZX's came that way. Not a dealer issue, we have learned to live with it etc, but one slip etc, and it is bad news.

I thought I had heard of thru hull water pick ups or transom mounted ones, I even had the idea of rigging the boat for both!
I am anxious to see Franks install, the way our engine area is laid out in levels make getting to the pump difficult, let alone an inline strainer.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
04-15-2002, 08:58 PM
Brya, I had my Mechanic out with me today and with the new air filter He wants me to change the exhaust and go to a bigger wheel. The boat is banging the rev limiter at 5100 We are trying a 26 pitch prop and see what she can do 66 is the top end now, he feels with a 26 lab finish I should be seeing 70 solid. I will let you know how we make out. Oh let me tell you how this boat can turn under Extreme speed Unreal! He raced Runnaway and was a World Championship racer. We had our jackets on and the lanyard attached and we made a 65mph ratical turn, One that i would have never took. He cut the boat hard left trying to spin here full trim up and throttle down. No matter what he did he couldn't get that boat to slide. He turned to me and said this is one hell of a hull! Boy that made me feel good. The boat loves trim with the boat fully trimmed out at 8-9 she is at her top end and running on air! Just got to take care of a few minor repairs!

MOP
04-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Just a thought, why not get a transom water pickup? Not sure of Pro' & Con's!

HP 600SC
04-16-2002, 09:13 PM
All pro's to that no con's.....I will be doing that to my 22 for the exact same reason.

BigGrizzly
04-16-2002, 10:32 PM
Bryan, I have transom pickups on all my boate as well as strainers. Reasons is seaweed floats and gets sucked up. No mid ever enters so no problem. Eliminator has hull pickups on most of their line, but use the low water pickups for drive showers only.

Randy