PDA

View Full Version : help! testing 18 donzi tues should i buy???

fasttrucker
04-14-2002, 01:21 PM
found old 18ft donzi, unsure of year, has a 350/volvo/270 new fuel tank faded yellow paint. $4500 firm, inc trailer. going to see if i like it. he will test drive it if i put down deposit this tues. need all the advice i can get (HEY dr. dan) please respond. thanks.

RPD
04-14-2002, 02:21 PM
If it isn't totally ragged out and the trailer rolls... BUY IT.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion and we all know about opinions... they're like ********, everybody has one and they all stink... as always, buyer beware.

Donzified
04-14-2002, 07:55 PM
The hull, thats what you need. Jump on the deck. Here in Mi. the water is so low a four ft.drop down to the deck is standard.Look for cracks under the out drive,below the exterior out drive mount. The hulls out last motors ,drives ,owners ect. How did they replace the tank, that alone will tell you alot.Why did they paint it .look for blisters at the water line. Don't worry about the one's in the deck.I did a few figure eight's today in the dence fog in my 1976...priceless!

JP BRESCIA
04-14-2002, 07:57 PM
Poodle..

What would I look for to be sure of seperation @ stringer bulkhead joint (s)? I have an 80 with a long past. The transom was good and compression was good didn't care @ the drive figuring to replace.. So I bought it. Being a first time Donzi owner, I didn't know of the stringer bulkhead separation problem.

It's too late now but I'd like to know about it anyway.. :rolleyes:

MOP
04-14-2002, 09:15 PM
A good idea, go to West Marine and get an oil sample kit. After you go for a run and get things stired up take sample and send it to them. I would not buy any machiney including drives without a sample. These holes in the puddle that we love so much can bury us at times.

Phil / Long Island

Dr. Dan
04-14-2002, 10:04 PM
Fast, I replied to your other post, Yeah What Poodle said!!!!........... :D ...Doc

fasttrucker
04-15-2002, 08:27 PM
boat was sold so i guess i wont be going for that test drive after all thanks everyone!

fasttrucker
04-15-2002, 08:28 PM
boat was sold so i guess i wont be going for that test drive after all thanks everyone!

raritan
04-15-2002, 08:35 PM
Just a thought..... A seller with a GOOD boat wont have to wait very long if its priced right. If you snooze you loose. These are old boats and aint none of um perfect.

HP 600SC
04-16-2002, 09:15 PM
BUY IT NOW!!!