PDA

View Full Version : More Cleaver Talk - RickR Please Chime In

RedDog
06-24-2002, 10:37 AM
I hope its true - "the only dumb question is the question not asked"

As those from AOTH may remember, my 18 sits really low in the stern due to the extra BBC iron under the hatch. Recent board discussion has mentioned the stern lifting characteristics of cleaver props. Could I expect this additional lifting from a cleaver to be of benefit or could I already be getting all the lift I need at speed due to the OMC Raker prop I am using?
http://www.donzi.net/photos/floydt010.jpg

Rootsy
06-24-2002, 11:09 AM
My 16 sits low in the stern cause of the 350... kinda like your 18 does with the BB... i am gonna try a cleaver just for the heck of it... picked one up very cheap on ebay should have it later this week... i did sea trial an 18 last week with a 350 mag and a cleaver.. there was barely any real lift...there was some but definitely not a ton.. the boat felt rock solid... but it still managed low 60's on the speedo for what it is worth.. also gonna try a small diameter merc prop also that doesn't have as much bow lift to it to see if i can level the thing out and still get the hull out of the water... right now the mirage just picks the whole boat up... it is just way tooo much lift and i end up plowing water more than anything cause a 2 foot wedge of the hull is left submerged... feels like the whole boat is out of the water sometimes... it is weird. next step after that is weight removal from the stern... if that doesn't help then it is time to get radical i reckon

ThrillSeeker
06-24-2002, 01:21 PM
i have heard that cleavers dont do much for ya. they are more of a serface prop. they might give you some more stern lift, but i would call hydromotive, and see what they say. They will tell you what to do.

RickR
06-24-2002, 03:26 PM
Cleavers are surfacing props. Because of your raised X Dimension it may be worth a try.

A cleaver does not increase stern lift, it deceases bow lift.

Mark Shabbas (John's brother) always claimed a cleaver worked best on his "Monster" Minx but I don't know how his drive was set up. If you see the current owner (David/Big D) on Ft Loudon ask what he is running now.

How's Genuine Trouble running? Are you waxing her enough wink

RedDog
06-25-2002, 07:38 AM
Yep - I would like to try one if I can find one to fit OMC KC. I wonder about pitch. Should I expect to use the same pitch as I currently run (22 Raker?)

I've never run accross Big D, but I usually boat closer to Knoxville - not much boat traffic. On my last excursion down the lake I did see a few Donzis one of who was Glen Shabbas. That family sure has a lot of Donzis :D

G - FORCE 88
06-25-2002, 10:26 AM
I am in the same boat as you guys. My Mirage gives me great lift but sometimes i feel its to much. I looking for a cleaver like in the 27-28p range. I am on a 22 with a 454 bravo combo. I run 72 mph on a mild BB.

Oh yeah.....if you are running 22p raker you should at least pitch up 2-3 pitches. just my 2 cents from the prop shop here in Miami... :D

ThrillSeeker
06-25-2002, 10:49 AM
Hey guys try propswap.com u can use the prop to find out what u want, then buy it. my buddy tryed it and found exactly what he wanted prety cheap.