PDA

View Full Version : help! testing 18 donzi tues should i buy???

fasttrucker
04-14-2002, 01:19 PM
found old 18ft donzi, unsure of year, has a 350/volvo/270 new fuel tank faded yellow paint. $4500 firm, inc trailer. going to see if i like it. he will test drive it if i put down deposit this tues. need all the advice i can get (HEY dr. dan) please respond. thanks.

Dr. Dan
04-14-2002, 09:47 PM
Fast, Well you're not giving us much to go on! :rolleyes: Demanding a deposit for a test drive seams a bit "anal", I appreciate the owner not wanting tire kickers, but cash down to see it run? eek! Well that said, if you go for a ride and get a chance to inspect it,bring someone with you who knows their stuff,sounds like that would be your most expeditious route if this guy is in a hurry! But, again, I get suspicious when someone makes demands on me,when I am the customer! Find out year,hours, power, drive and take some pics to show us lunatics here! I am no authority on 18's, but Poodle,Pearson,Verd and CDMA, & GEOO + many others can give you scrolls of advice and direction! Obvious cosmetic and structural defects will appear as cracks or deflections in structural areas, look at motor mounts and stringer areas, how does the boat look overall considering it's age and apparent history? wink Then, make the call, Also check out some of the pics of 18's on the registry and get an idea of what to look for! There are alot of RESTORATIONS on 18's,use the search feature, check topics under Jamesbon,Pearson, CDMA and well Madpoodle is the resident walking dictionary here! Check out posts over the last 2 years! $4500 is a good price if the trailer is decent and the hull is sound,paint and Gel are the easy parts, if it runs and does'nt smoke like the River Queen, buy it...also check your email, I'll send you my cell..Good Luck ... :D Doc