PDA

View Full Version : 500HP

roadtrip
01-19-2001, 09:52 PM
Okay Gentlemen,
I have had my new 22 Classic less than four months and I am already dreaming of ways to make it faster, nastier, and meaner.
I have had a lot of experience with the 500HP powertrain. I like the performance and dependability of this unit.
Has anyone attempted this with a 22 before? What were the results? The 500HP puts out 470 horsepower. Has anyone hopped up their motor to this range or more via supercharging or whatever means. How does the boat behave with this kind of power. What kind of top end are we talking about.
Not a short term project, but something I will consider if I end up eating too much spray during the upcoming season.
Thanks for the feedback. Todd

GEOO
01-19-2001, 09:57 PM
Todd,

I know of three 22 classics with 502ci 500-575 hp (at flywheel). Two with Bravo's and the other with a TRS. they seam to drive well. You need a full hydraulic steering system with one or two external rams. It should run 78 to 82 mph. GEOO

FASTEDDIE
01-19-2001, 10:11 PM
GEOO
Your right on the money on this one. All three run here at Lake George and put on quite a show in June and September. These engines are built by Performance Marine of
Bolton Landing,N.Y. on Lake George.Check out
thier website at www.perfmar.com (http://www.perfmar.com)

------------------
FASTEDDIE

[This message has been edited by harbormaster (edited 01-22-2001).]

boldts
01-19-2001, 10:15 PM
Hey Roadtrip. You lookin to wake up a few more horses? I'd be glad to slip you a few dollars for fuel if it will get me a ride in your bullet. I'll also bring my racing helmet to block the wind caused tears in the eyes. Any plans to raise your X dimension also with the install of the 500HP? Maybe you could push the 85 to 90 MPH range? Geoo has the right idea on the steering system, it needs to be solid at those kind of speeds.

Scott Boldt

BigGrizzly
01-20-2001, 12:37 AM
Road trip I will let you know at the Orlando show. I have completed the engine and am waiting for the lake to rise and drop in the engine. I went a tad farther in the hp bracket, but the results should be fun. Remember this voids warranty. Unless you do it yourself that kind of dependable power cost big dollars, Geoo will tell you. I wold give you numbers, but you would think i'm crazy.

Randy

roadtrip
01-21-2001, 12:36 AM
Let's see here,
Mercruiser 500HP with EFI, 280 Kplanes,
dual ram Latham steering, heavy duty gimbal, and probably Gaffrig red line guages and senders to make the package complete. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!! Not to be taken lightly, but most likely.
Randy, I'm still debating on Portifino, but I will be really interested in seeing how your monster behaves with the new motor at Cumberland. Just how many horses are you jamming under that hatch? Probably a secret due to some x-18 arenson tipped beast that will be lurking at cumberland also. I look forward to seeing both of you run them and absorbing your rigging wisdom tricks and tips.
Dreaming of warm weather and smooth seas. Todd Somerville

MattM
01-22-2001, 08:59 AM
Roadtrip, I got a little over 500 Hp at the flywheel with the Edelbrock Performer RPM package on a 454. I built the whole thing for less than 5k and was very happy with it. I had a TRS on a '82 22', it probably ran a little low in the water, it ran 78 mph. There's no reason you have to break the bank to do this.