PDA

View Full Version : Everyone is Jealous of Donzi !!!!

Stan
04-13-2002, 02:07 PM
Why is everyone else always comparing themselves to a Donzi !!!! "Our boat is BETTER than a Donzi." Blah Blah Blah

I love Chris- Crafts's......but please.
(and thats a good looking boat)

Check this out.

http://forestportboatco.com/ChrisCraft.htm

Formula Jr
04-13-2002, 03:13 PM
When this boat was designed for Chris Craft, by Jim Wynne, the only comparable boats were the earlier Hornet Vee drive - also designed by Wynne and the elusive Bertram aft deck sportboat that Cliff has been looking for.

So the "Better than a Donzi" attitude here is not so far fetched in this particular case. Chris-Craft, threw everything they had at these boats as the flag ship starting line of their Glass offerings. They cost more than Hornets of their time. As did the Bertram. I don't think its unfair to say that there were a few boats of this era that were more opulent than Donzis. But the high end Hornet was faster than either one. :D

oldLenny
04-14-2002, 12:28 AM
I think they are yummy!!! the Cris Crafts. Nice lines, nostalgia and one foot forward entering the "new world". SOOOO many have done worse...

JP BRESCIA
04-14-2002, 01:51 AM
Not a Donzi. But a hell of a boat in the day. Before Donzi, the older ChrisCrafts were the apple of my eye. I still love the wood classics. Especially the Canadian Gentlemans Racers. Timeless art in my oppinion.
Just my 2c.

Shanghied Again
04-14-2002, 07:32 AM
Years ago there were two Manafactures that exceded everyone else, Pre 1967 was Chris Craft building some of of the best looking wood sport boats in the world equipted with corvette 327s they were fast 40 mph boats the wood and interior was beautiful, Then there was the Rolls Royce of sport boats with its slide back roof and top noth interior with a wood finish that was in a class of its own a 20 ft Coronoda Century. Chris Craft was the line years ago right up to the Constelations and the steel Roamers.

Mark Albers
04-14-2002, 08:23 AM
I cant comment on this reply :(

My 93 Classic was made by Chris Craft
In all places............. Indiana (Hoosiervile)

Mark 311 :cool: :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (if you cant beat em - buy em)

RH
04-14-2002, 06:16 PM
Chris Craft did make a nice statement with the XK 19. As for Bertram, Are you referring to the 20" model that they called the Baron? Very few Barons were produced from what I am told, but a nice boat as well. Still like the Donzi's better! I just happen to be partial to the lines of the Hornet!
RH

Don Carone
04-14-2002, 09:13 PM
The Sea Ray PACHANGAS of the late 60s early 70s (not the mid 80s ones) were a DONZI look alike I wonder if DONZI was also the influennce

ALLAN BROWN
04-15-2002, 07:38 AM
Up until 1963, the Chris Craft runabouts were match-plank mahogany. They used a double width plank, split it, and put one plank on one side, and the matching one on the other. They had such a grip on the boat business that I thought they would go on forever. Then they were taken over by big business, and the decisions were based on the almighty buck. Sound familiar?

mattyboy
04-15-2002, 11:13 AM
there is a 19 like that on my lake and a beautiful boat, chris craft might have realized their mistake about the wood boat If you see their new launch it has chris craft wooden boat written all over it. I believe all greats have a design that stays with them over the years!
1 Donzi
2 chris craft
3 caddy
4 porsche
seems you can always recognize them no matter what year they are!!!!

Kent Perroux
04-16-2002, 08:29 AM
You are absolutely correct Brownie. Too many companies start out building a great reputation, then along comes investors that try to capitalize on the brand recognition and sell lesser quality products at higher prices to maximize their margins. Then they wonder what happened to their "Quality Brand".

It can become more difficult to overcome this blind ambition than it is to start fresh.

HP 600SC
04-16-2002, 09:05 PM
Very cool ad from the old days.........