PDA

View Full Version : Dual Battery setup question

Ranman
04-12-2002, 09:19 PM
Currently, my 18 has dual batteries mounted in the engine compartment configured with a big Perko switch. Problem is, the batteries are on the way out. One won't hold a charge anymore and the other is getting weak. I suspect they were abused by the previous owner. They are both Interstates, but are not matched. One is a deep cycle and the other I believe is a hybrid starting/deep cycle. Any suggestions on what I should replace them with? A matched set of Deep cycles? One deep cycle one hybrid? Who manufactures the best marine units? I would love the marine versions of the Optimas, but they're too pricey for me. Thanks for your suggestions. Randy.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-12-2002, 09:45 PM
RANMAN, 850/1000 Interstate Marine batteries at cost are $62 a piece, my friend works for Interstate, say the word and I will bring two to KY.
We run lots of toys at hours on end and we always crank fine, we run the switch on both which was a recommendation I got here on the BB. No Problems!
Let me know if you want one or two.
Bryan

Sam
04-12-2002, 10:19 PM
Randy, I just bought four more Stowaways from Sam's club, they are manufactured by Excide. I have two on my fishing boat and these four are for the big boat. They are very large capacity and only cost fity dollars per. I studied several types and brands and for my money this is the best buy. If you need a Sam's card just let me know.

Sam

ToonaFish
04-13-2002, 12:55 AM
Wow, you are the Sam? eek!

Bunches,

Celene 'wouldn't belong to a Club that would have me as a member'

BigGrizzly
04-13-2002, 01:08 AM
Don't mix Deep cycle with regular batteries this will cause problems especially with a isolator. The deep cycle batteries need to be charged at a higher base rate. You can't charge a deep cycle with a 2 amp charger, but you can with a regular battery. Deep cycle batteries are made to Charge and drain down and charge for their life. thats why the are called deep cycle. They were designed for the electric motor applications, golf carts trolling motors etc.

Randy

MOP
04-13-2002, 07:43 AM
Mixing batteries is not an issue! First an formost one should not run in the both position as no two batteries are alike even two from the same batch. One will be seeking charge while the other is fully charged yes this may be a miniscule difference but it is a fact and will over time reduce the life of the stronger battery. Rule of thumb run 1 on odd days and 2 on even days. This way you have the true benifit of dual bats, always a hot one in reserve. If you have a clean electronics circut off just one then install a "Guest Isolator" which comes in models that will fit most any configuration of multible battery and alternator. I over the years have set up hundreds of boats, many with heavy electronic packages which were clean and filtered to one battery usualy a large one sometimes a 4-D with the afore mentioned Guest unit. Remember the second battery is there to insure you have the reserve sarting power. Another very important fact a quick mysterious dead battery situation should be carefully checked out before just switching over, ther may be a more sinister problem lurking in the wiring.

Phil / Long Island

abelchinewalker
04-13-2002, 10:32 AM
I'd have to agree with Phil on this one, if you run the boat with the switch on "BOTH" it kind of defeates the purpose of having dual batteries. One of the batteries is suppose to be a back-up, I have never thought of the even/odd technique of battery usage, but I like it.
Two starting battries are the way to go unless you plan on adding a trolling motor, or a livewell system.

Donnie

Stix Magill
04-13-2002, 11:18 AM
Randy,
Good topic. As usual, I have more questions and no answers! :p My Donzi's battery compartment has room for two and it has the battery switch for two, but the previous owner used one oversized battery instead of two. I left the battery in the boat over the winter (I know, bad!), but with the switch off. At the end of 5 months, it didn't need a charge, strong as an ox! There might be room for a very small battery to fit in the compartment as well. I have contemplated direct wiring one for the auto bilge switch. Suggestions?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-13-2002, 05:22 PM
I was doing the odd even thing on the old boat, even days #2 etc... then I read BOTH was ok, and the majority said that is how they ran!
Needless to say I plan to always have fresh batteries so I never have to worry. If my boat don't start I have bigger problems than a battery.

Bryan

PS
The HRPA crossed the bay today in mass! The 28ZX that just joined the club was very fast!

farmer tx
04-14-2002, 12:05 AM
I have 3 battery's in my 22'. Two for the sound system are deep cycle and are mounted forward of the engine.I built a box of 1/2" plywood and layed it up. It fits between the stringers. There is a solinoid mounted between the two batterys and the amp.juntion block. The acc. switch on the dash runs the sound system.When the ign. key is in the run position the solinoid is activated and the charging system charges all three bats.The third bat. is under the rear seat in the factory bat.location. So when you are floating and listening to tunes you are just drawing off the duel battrey's,and your starter battrey is isolated.Never a dead battery!!