PDA

View Full Version : Seat Sliders

harbormaster
06-23-2002, 09:57 PM
You know after all my time on the board, I never noticed much time devoted to these little b*stards.

You can have the best boat in the world but if you don't have a place to sit, you might as well hang it up!

Below is a photo of the driver's side seat base. Notice 3 out of four corners are missing. The other seat base is in the same shape. I have heard that this can com from not checking the nylon slider bushings. When they wear through it allows metal to metal contact and snaps off the ears.

The problem with this is the bases are through bolted with nuts and bolts with no way to get to the nut underneath. When you get the bolts out the nuts drop free.

Anyone repaired this before? What did you do? I am assuming some sort of molley bolts.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/sliders.jpg

Sagbay32
06-23-2002, 10:30 PM
Ranman did his a few months ago.

harbormaster
06-23-2002, 10:48 PM
Yeah I will be calling Randy (RANMAN)tomorrow. I will post the results so others may benefit from his experience.

clayman
06-23-2002, 11:31 PM
I just finished replacing both slider rails on my 18'. I drilled with a 2" hole saw an access hole. actually two holes then cut with a saws-all to make an oval slot in the stringer in the bottom hold of the floor. This allowed enough room for my 7 year old neighbor to fit his little hand in there and put on new lock nuts and fender washers. I used new universal sliders from Cabella's, made by springfield. After they were bolted in, I re glassed the tabbing between the stinger and the deck. Worked great with my new Bilt-rite seats.
James

harbormaster
06-24-2002, 04:22 AM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/slider2.jpg

ToonaFish
06-24-2002, 08:55 AM
ROTFLMAO!!!!! :D :p :D

But seriously, one of the main considerations in which boat I buy will be my seat. (Who cares if the passengers are comfortable!) I'm too short to comfortably drive many boats, and I usually end up in a strange, knee bent, half gainer position. Okay for WOT bursts, but not for cruising. Maybe I should have started dating that Chiropractor?

Bunches,

Celene 'and you should see what it does to a tan line'

blackhawk
06-24-2002, 10:16 AM
Mine did the same thing. Instead of fixing mine I bought brand new slides that were much higher quality. I want to say they were springfield but I am not sure. They are much stronger and smoother.

blackhawk
06-24-2002, 11:37 AM
Now that I think about it they weren't Springfields. The originals that broke were the Springfields. I can't remember what I put on there but they were way better. Looks like you already ordered some anyway.

Paul Storti
06-24-2002, 04:19 PM
My passenger seat spider gave up last weekend, I was out in 3-5's having a great time next thing I know my passenger was headed in my direction. The sides of the spider that fit in the track brocke off completely. I went to the usual boat places to get a replacement but no one carries Springfield parts. I called Springfield directly and spoke to a gentleman there named Kenny and he offfered to send me a new one at no charge. I really don't think pedestals and spiders are up to offshore use, Donzi really should have equipped the boat with bolsters. I think part of the problem is the way the slider is attached to the seat base it really allows for a lot of movement which fatigues the metal over time, maybe one of these days I'll find some bolsters to put in there.

tamburello
06-24-2002, 04:44 PM
I'm just finishing installing 2 MOMO 1000 Lakes Evo racing buckets up front in my 18 classic. They cost a small fortune but they hold you in place like nothing else. The seat brackets are mounted on a piece of 1/4 inch sheet aluminum that I drilled to bolt onto the sliders. My stock sliders are intact, but I'm reconsidering replacing them after hearing about all of the problems. I'll post pics of the MOMOs soon.

RickR
06-24-2002, 08:31 PM
I replaced the stock sliders/spiders with Garelcik (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=201&prrfnbr=104482&outlet=) (West or Boat US). It is a MUCH better product.

I had to modify (sand) the black plastic bushing to fit the old pedistals.

If you need to remove the pedistals its a BIG project. I reinstalled with toggle bolts (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=201&prrfnbr=91838&outlet=) (made specifically for seats) and 5200. You'll have to drill large holes for the toggles (make sure holes don't interfer with stringers or bulkheads), dig out the flotation and seal the wood with epoxy.

harbormaster
06-24-2002, 10:57 PM
Rick.
Those would be too high for my boat. There are square fiberglass platforms that rise up from the cockpit floor that the sliders bolt to. I combed west marine, Boat U ASS, and another local chain with no success.

clayman
06-24-2002, 11:20 PM
I used universal sliders made by springfield and sold through Cabellas . worked great on the little fiberglass riser box. the sliders are not to high, they are only about 1.5 inches thick.
James

harbormaster
06-24-2002, 11:29 PM
That is what I ordered...

harbormaster
06-25-2002, 08:17 PM
Well,
The sliders got here finally from carbela's and they sent the wrong ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to boat U aSS and checked again and bought some Garelick seat sliders. Man they were pricy.

1 hour and 140.00 later the seats are in.

Oh yeah Kim has to work late and has the truck....

there is no god.

tamburello
06-28-2002, 09:21 AM
Harbormaster-

Do those Garelick seat sliders have the same bolt pattern as your stock sliders or did you have to drill new holes in the seat base and cockpit sole? Also, how did you access the nuts under the cockpit sole to swap the sliders? Can you reach it from the cooler between the seats?