PDA

View Full Version : Hull & Deck Price Help

Stromer
01-17-2001, 10:15 PM
Donzi brothers,
A buddy of mine is looking at a 22 Classic - bare hull and deck, no motor, no interior. Owner has some of the deck hardware.
What do you think is a good price for him to pay and get this project?

Stromer
01-18-2001, 01:18 PM
c'mon everyone - I need help with this.

Hull is 1993
Deck is 1988
has been regel-coated - looks good - no cracks
stringers re-glassed
no motor
no drive
no gauges
no dash pannel
no interior (need Built-Rite's number)
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT MY BUDDY TO PAY FOR IT?
I was thinking $1,500 to $1,800???

Forrest
01-18-2001, 03:29 PM
Under $2000 would be a great price. Figure about $1500 at Bilt Rite. You know what a motor, drive, gauges, controls, steering, and wiring harness cost. Does it have a trailer? $2000 for a decent new trailer if needed. So what are we up to now? $5500 on the trailer with new upholstery, but no motor or rigging. Think you can do engine and drive and everything else for $4500? If you can, then you will have a 22 2+3 for only 10 grand . . . and that doesn't include your labor. But don't be surprised if that 22 goes for a little more than $1800.

------------------
Forrest

Len
01-18-2001, 03:32 PM
How do you know that the hull is '93? h.i.n. number? what is it? How come the deck is an '88? Sure these aren't pop-offs? How do you know the deck is an '88? and why. The stringers needing re-glassing in a 1993 boat with I assume,... low hours, certainly not many unless it was a "taxi". A re-gelled deck on a 1988 substrate,...? or a bad lay-up with telegraphing and pulling on a poor "copy" hence a quick fix...? Hmmmmm... I am not one to comment on the value of such a project as I don't have the background that these "regulars" have, but I'd be a bit leary of this and soooo many people here have concurred that the purchase of a "finished product" is far more economical than the "total re-build from the ocean up." This boat seems to consist of only the two shells... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif Built-Rite upholstery,$$$$, Bravo One, $$$$ Big Block and exhaust,$$$$$ Instrumentation,$$$$ dash, carpet, hardware, rub rail,etc etc etc. Lots I bet!

BERTRAM BOY
01-18-2001, 03:46 PM
Wasn't '89 an OMC year? I don't see any reason why the deck shouldn't fit the hull, but are you sure it does? Just wondering if there were any "SLIGHT" changes in hull or deck design under different manufacturers.
Also, Forrest raised a good point about out fitting a boat piece by piece. It can get out of hand very quickly if your not careful. I'm in the process of buying all new hardware for my 2+3, and it's nickel and diming my to death........2 more cents.
BERTRAM BOY

BigGrizzly
01-18-2001, 05:18 PM
When I did the Corsican, it was a forever project. It had all the pieces. If your like the rest of us the engine and drive will get more expensive the longer it takes. With uncirtanty of the job situation, unless it is cheap walk away. However if somone has another wreck with a engine and drive cheap it may be ok.

Randy

Tim Howland
01-18-2001, 05:46 PM
Stromer,
This sounds painful. Your friend will look like Rip Van Winkle when the 22 is finally ready to rip. Bilt Rite is:
904-259-4807.

All good,
Tim.

Stromer
01-18-2001, 05:48 PM
The deck fits the hull it is installed. This is a bare boat no guages, no motor ect...
Motor cost and other "things" are not a big problem with my buddy as he (like me) are in the marine manufacturing industry and extra things like motors and drive are easy to "find".
so... to make it simple...is a bare 22 classic hull - all redone and gel-coated worth 1500 to 2000???
Remember no title, no motor, no trailer - he does have a box of deck hardware.

I still thining not over 2000 - what do ya think?

Blewbyu
01-18-2001, 07:21 PM
Mouth watering possibilities-but really scary.Were the stringers and deck burned?If so,you should inspect the hull very carefully.
I would concur with F.Jr. on the title issue,and resolve it legally BEFORE laying the money down.It could be "hot" in more ways than one.If you can secure title via a quick title searce via HIN-then grab it.Don't let the pressure of the moment (and lust)drive you to making a big mistake.You will still involve a lotta bananas by the time you finish-be sure you're up to the journey.

Dr. Dan
01-18-2001, 08:21 PM
I agree with Blew & F-Jr.,if it looks like a duck it probably is! This puppy sounds like a money pit,which is bad, because all boats are,this pit just seems deeper...I would keep looking...Doc

RedDog
01-18-2001, 08:40 PM
For what it is worth, title issues are not so simple - or maybe more simple than it should be. Let ethics prevail. Here in TN, boats are not titled. A hand-written bill of sale, notarized, will get your hull registered (license #s registered - not titled) with the state. But then if you want the trailer registered, there is a title involved. Go figure - sounds back-asswards to me!

Ted Guldemond
01-18-2001, 10:08 PM
Aside from the legal issues so sagely raised. It sounds like you and your friend are quite capable of the restoration project. Especially if your in the marine industry (got any spare SBC's laying around.) So assuming the legal issues are resolvable, what is a fixerupperopportunity like this worth? Let me add my two cents and compare some apples to oranges. Earlier this year I picked up a very tired 1968 19ft. St.Tropez. The hull is sound but painted. The deck has terminal core rot, but its complete and not hacked up. There is no engine. The drive is a Volvo 280 (appears to be in good shape). The trailer is the best part, single axle galvanized, no rust, looks almost new. I payed $2500. Is it worth it? My bride says hell no, but I'm having a ton of fun working on it. Just finding parts is half the fun. And if I screw it up or it takes me two years to finish, so what. Its still a hell of a lot more boat than say my neighbors four year old 16 ft SunBird that he payed $10K for and isnt in that much better shape. So 2K and you have access to cheap power and drive trains? Unless your looking for a concours restoration, I'd go for it.

Stromer
01-19-2001, 07:47 AM
My Buddy (Roger) got it last night for $2,500! He already has a 7.4 Gsi 385HP Volvo Penta eng & drive ready for it.
Thaks for all the comments - as it turns out it is just a little more than my limit, but Roger was drooling! He already called built-rite, he has the big block power, the boat is already gel-coated - so he may be on the water by April! Look for him in Ft Myers, FL. I beat him up until he joins the registry!
Thanks again! Strommer

AVickers
01-19-2001, 02:22 PM
I have a trailer that would fit this boat. Got two when I bought my 22 Classic.

Blewbyu
01-19-2001, 07:02 PM
ARRIGHT!In spite of my earlier statements,I know I would have done the same if the hull was under $4000,if it was within 100 miles or so.If such a situation existed and someone beat me out of it for $2500 I'd have to hurt myself badly with a sharp instrument!Especially this time of year when you have time to get it done before good weather hits.But then, I've done things badly for LUST before-and that's what Rogers deal is.....LUST!SO BE IT!Lust on,dude!Congrats.Regards-Jeff

GEOO
01-19-2001, 08:26 PM
Stromer,
I think you did the right thing. A bare hull need's alot of parts. You would be better off with a boat complete with a bad engine. GEOO

Forrest
01-20-2001, 09:44 AM
Strommer,
Now that you have posession, maybe you can get an "Alabama" title with guidence from our buddy, Emmo.

------------------
Forrest

Stromer
01-20-2001, 11:58 AM
Forrest,
Don't forget that we are very familiare with this industry - not worried about the title - wink, wink!