PDA

View Full Version : timing marks 302 h-m help

nick
07-25-2001, 09:44 PM
on a 302 holman moody where are the timing marks on the block. I can read numbers but can not find the pointer. what number also have you been setting your timing including advanc thanks scooter2 :confused:

Moody Blu'
07-26-2001, 05:38 PM
I have a 1975 351w, and the timing mark is on the right side of the timing chain cover. I also have an 91 f250 with a 351w but the timing pointer is on the left of the timing cover, if you have an older style engine it should be on the right side of the timing cover, if nothing is there there will be a circle with no pointer(I guess they drillit out and put a pointer on it.)
there are lke 20 different dampner for the ford engines, so make sure you have the right dampner. i bought a dampner and the timing marks were for a newer style 351w,(the timing marks were on the left) it is important that you make sure of that other wise you will have a guessing game with the timing.
also, make sure you point the distributor to TDC of cylinder one and line the crank timing marks up with the dampner.
I hope you understand how easy you can screw the timing up with such a wide variety of dampners. I was going to use a race dampner but it was not right for my application.
if you want more help email me and ill try to help you. beerock420@hotmail.com

BigGrizzly
07-26-2001, 07:50 PM
On our 16 with a 302(repower) the pointer is scewed on the timming cover, this is one of the early 302, but on the right.

Randy