PDA

View Full Version : Roll on Imron

Ralph Savarese
01-16-2001, 05:12 PM
Has anybody out there had any experience with roll on Imron and Can it be sanded if mistakes are made?

Frank Civitano
01-16-2001, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't roll on Imron. Its not so giving the drying time is to fast and it would probably leave half your roller on your boat! it wouldn't look good even with a good enamel paint. Rollers leave to many dull spots.

------------------
Frank Civitano

Scott Pearson
01-16-2001, 06:00 PM
Imron CAN NOT be rolled on. You have to have in air lose of solvents. This can only be done with a spray gun. If you roll a high solids urethane on IT WILL PEEL OFF! Maybe not right away but I can guarantee that it will. Could be a month or could be a year.

Good Luck
(NJ)Scott

Tito
01-16-2001, 06:10 PM
Don't use Imron Use Sterling brand paint. You can roll and tip it on and it will look like it is sprayed on. It will not peel or chip and you can do it at home with proffesional results. They make a spay application and a roll & tip application, the secret is in using a very good roller and badger hair brush to tip with.

Ralph Savarese
01-16-2001, 07:49 PM
Tito, where can I get info. on sterling paints
I have to look into something that can be rolled with some great results because I am limited to not being able to spray at home.Does it have the durability of Imron?

Tito
01-16-2001, 08:37 PM
Hey Ralph,
Down here west marine has it most marine suppliers carry it, Sterling is equal to awl grip but you can buy a roll & tip system in a kit from them (primer paint reducer ). You can also tip & roll awl grip, the only difference between spraying and rolling is the reducer that you use. As for adhesion : if you contact either manufacturer they will tell you that it is guaranteed against peeling and flaking providing the hull is properly prepared. I have seen many a Multi million dollar yacht that was rolled & tipped with a better than sprayed finish .

Ralph Savarese
01-16-2001, 08:42 PM
Tito,
Sounds good would you put it on your Donzi deck?I found the web site and it looks interesting!

lou
01-16-2001, 08:50 PM
Sorry Scott but Tito is right, I had this roll & tip conversation before only with awl grip. Awl Grip can be rolled & tipped but you must use a special reducer, I have seen the Sterling roll 7 tip system and the finish is very very very close to sprayed, so close that it is difficult to tell them apart. Of course as with all paint the preparation is everything. Now I know that there are doubters out there so I have included a picture of a quart of Awl Grip in donzi white with the on label instructions for roll & tip that is legible.
http://www.4u2buy.com/donzi/awlgrip.jpg

Tito
01-16-2001, 09:03 PM
Well Ralph I just sold a 1967 donzi 16 that had excellent gel coat but now that I am looking for a cheap Donzi and can only spend $2500 I will probably be using the roll & tip method and use the sterling paint because for that money the gel coat will likely be in sad shape. I can tell you that my favorite boat is painted that way and that every time they touch it up it is fast and easy . Most people can not tell a roll & tip job from spray, you have to get real close and look very carefully and then you may have doubts that it is roll & tip. Get the brochure from interlux paints and it will tell you the proper technique and tools for roll & tip.

Tito
01-16-2001, 09:14 PM
Hey Lou it is nice to see you on the computer! Thank you for my x-Xmas present !
It was not necessary , my boss loves his new Donzi he even gave me $500 for finding it ( he is not as generous as you ). Did you get your new Donzi 45? Also I sold my boat to buy a car and now I need to buy a cheap Donzi cause I miss mine. If you sell me you 65 outboard for $2500 I will be your slave for one year http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif you know I love that boat! Email if you find something for me in your travels or you need some maintenance done on your boats. titohere@bellsouth.net

Ralph Savarese
01-17-2001, 10:26 AM
Tito
Can stirling paint be sanded for corrections unlike awlgrip

[This message has been edited by Ralph Savarese (edited 01-18-2001).]

Scott Pearson
01-17-2001, 04:47 PM
Lou,
I never said Aw Grip of some other marine type paint couldn't be rolled on. I was talking about IMRON.

(NJ)Scott

Forrest
01-18-2001, 08:36 AM
If you are looking for a good price on AwlGrip and Sterling paints, check out Cyber-Marine.com (http://www.cyber-marine.com).

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 01-18-2001).]

AGUESS
01-18-2001, 09:28 AM
I purchased a HVLP "High Volume Low Pressure" paint system from a company in Canada. Cost about $350.00 U.S.

I used this to Spray my Classic 18 with Imron. Great Results, not a lot of overspray.

This was done in a single car garage.

Warning. Imron will kill you if you do not use an approved respirator and have good ventilation.

Not something you can do at home if garage is attached to the house.

I would think that any type of paint is going to put off a lot of fumes. Find a warehouse, etc. to paint in.

Good Luck

Alex.

Ted Guldemond
01-19-2001, 04:35 PM
Ok, I tryed West Marine, Boats U.S., Defender, Jamestown Distributors, and Cyber-marine, and still can not find Sterling Paints. Anybody know a dealer or web address?

Greg Riach
01-19-2001, 05:08 PM
Ted

try this link
http://www.detcosterling.com/sltitle.htm

Greg

Ralph Savarese
01-19-2001, 09:00 PM
I have an 1800 number. I spoke to a technical consultant in fact they called me based on my e mail to them. It looks like I might go that route at least on the hull and will see how it comes out!
Call Bill Pollock@ Detco 1800 845-0023 very helpfull
Ralph