PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hull Exhaust

woodsy32
01-16-2001, 04:06 PM
Hey Guys,

What is your opinion on thru hull exhaust?? The new 22 did not come with it, so I am going to have it installed. I was looking at the Corsa Quick & Quiet Plus as anything with a solenoid is illegal in NH. Maybe a set of those muffled tips to go with it?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave

GeneD
01-16-2001, 05:23 PM
I have seen the Silent Choice system, and it seems to work very good. I didn't notice if there were solenoids.
All you guys that have to deal with noise restrictions have my sympathies.
It's a Don Damn shame.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Tim Howland
01-16-2001, 05:58 PM
Woodsy32,
Ran all last summer in the MINX on Winni with Stainless Marine manifolds, 4" angle straight thru pipes missing the internal flaps(real risky)because they burnt out. The guys in the Centurys with the green seals always waved but never questioned. Not sure, but I think 84db is the limit. I am looking at new flaps from Stainless Marine, and what they show in their add, as well as Drew Marine shotgun exhaust silencer. I am not sure if NHDMS requires the non-helm operable exhaust or not. Thru hull is far more pleasing than thru hub.

All good,
Tim.

Bryan Tuvell
01-16-2001, 06:43 PM
Have to agree with Gene, restrictions SxxK and will leave mine as is, I LOVE THE SOUND, even for a small block, it is nice to turn that key while everyone is already staring at your DONZI....
On the bay and ocean it is not an issue for me. BUT I am vacationing late next summer on lake George and fasteddie tells me the restriction it is 90db at idle 10 feet from the transom, and it is most often enforced.
I have ask Merc for specifics and get allot of talk, but they estimate for my set up to be in the high 80's on DB for the 350 mag.
Any info to add from you guys will be appreciated.
Bryan

FASTEDDIE
01-16-2001, 07:01 PM
Lake George is not going to bother you if your 350 is running straight pipes. If you have the 454 or 502 with straight pipes your going to be looked at. Silent choice is illegal but if you have it on quiet they never will check. Drive like a bandit and draw attention to your big block and then turn it quiet, you could go unnoticed or be spotted and get a ticket. Like anyplace else,drive safely and don't be a show off and you'll get by.

------------------
FASTEDDIE

BigGrizzly
01-16-2001, 07:13 PM
Just get the Corsa mufflers put them on the transum, you will meet the spec or darn close, and no one will bother you . you will have the nice sound and not loose any performance oi a slitely modified engine.

Randy

Bryan Tuvell
01-17-2001, 06:49 AM
Thanks FastEddie, I am sure we will be fine, I am a conservative and safe boater so my only attention will be hopefully from people saying "nice boat." We have received allot of info on Lake George and we are excited! The kids look to have lots to do besides boat etc. One thing though, most places don't take dogs, only one would in fact (diamond point area), so old Skip may get kenneled. Treasure cove takes reservations on 5 Feb.
See ya the week of 28 July. Bryan

RickR
01-17-2001, 08:36 AM
woodsy
There is a siilent choice system in the "Parts for Sale " section. Also there are some for sale on Offshore Only.

I used shotguns on my 18. They were legal, probably lost 1 or 2 on top end.
But I much prefer the Silent Choices ability to knock the sound down to almost a wisper.
If you don't boat in NH all the time you might use a set of slip in baffels from CP Performance in combo with the silent choice.

Man am I glad I don't boat in NH!!!!!

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Len
01-17-2001, 09:18 AM
Family and Performance boating magazine has a good article outlining Corsa starting on page 76. According to them they are starting to dominate the marine exhaust industry and are planning a couple of "aquisitions" in the near future. Surely, they seem to have a number of styles to fit most needs

tm
01-23-2001, 12:03 PM
I installed the Cosa Quick & Quiet Plus on my 1995 16 and love it. However, it is solenoid operated controlled by a switch under the dash. This is an extremely well engineered and constructed system and I highly recommend it. The only problem I ran into was the long lead time when ordering (2 months) but that was during the summer. It is a tight system in the 16 but it fits. The solenoids are heavy duty and a thing of beauty. Go for it.

roadtrip
01-23-2001, 01:05 PM
Hey Len,
I have heard several times about this Family and Performance Boating magazine. I looked on the web for subscription information and couldn't find any presence.
Could you post the info so I can get signed up. Powerboat, Hotboat, and Boating just aren't enough for this fanatic. thanks, todd

Bryan Tuvell
01-23-2001, 03:03 PM
www.randomunity.com/fpb/index.html (http://www.randomunity.com/fpb/index.html)

The online version has not been updated in awhile. R/Bryan

Len
01-23-2001, 03:15 PM
I was unaware of the on-line version. Thanks Bryan. Roadtrip, this was the January (Christmas) edition and I bought it for myself 'cuz my wife didn't put an 18 Donzi in my stocking http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif ...Chimney too small???who knows.

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 01-23-2001).]

Jesse B
01-25-2001, 09:54 AM
Hull thru rules. Good move.