PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Trailers?

EricG
01-16-2001, 10:38 AM
I've decided it's time to start looking for a new Trailer, but since I don't think going to Florida to get a Rolls is really practical, I'm wondering if anybody on the west coast knows of a good Aluminum or Galvanized trailer? Up here in Seattle, it seems we have EZ Loader and King, but that's about it....

I'd be willing to go on a road trip to get one in Cali, etc....

Thanks!!

EG

PaulO
01-16-2001, 10:46 AM
Eric,
Good luck!! I have been doing the trailer investigation for about a month now and it is amazing that 99 out of 100 trailer manufacturers are in Florida. Some have dealers and will ship elsewhere but, guess who pays that bill? Also, it is amazing how close in price everyone is. Whithin a couple of hundred bucks. I like what I know about Rolls but, with the old boat waiting to be sold and not knowing what I will have to put into the cig, I don't know that I want to go for the bucks just yet.
PaulO

RickSE
01-16-2001, 11:30 AM
Pacific Boat Trailer, Newark CA. (510-797-1245) makes a nice steel trailer. Don't know if they make Aluminum trailers. We had one last year under a 22Z that looked pretty good.

V&M Custom Boat Trailers, Fresno CA. (209-486-0410) also seems to make a descent trailer. I have one under my 18. Here's some pictures of my V&M trailer (http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=384).

Len
01-16-2001, 11:34 AM
Eric, I have had Shorelander, E-Z loader and Roadrunner and I will not buy one for my next boat. I will try something new. One of the names that I hear about on this site. Rolls, Continental etc. These others have all fallen apart, mind you only used in salt...My last E-Z Loader had one of the bunks fall apart while trailering. 1 year old and ALWAYS fresh water washed and cleaned. Never had a bearing failure in any of them but superficially they all looked abused and old in 6 months. Time for something different. My 2 cents

MattM
01-16-2001, 02:18 PM
Try Ryan trailers in Portland @ 503-692-3294. They built one for a friends 18', it's very nice.

woodsy32
01-16-2001, 04:04 PM
It's usually only about $400-$500 extra to ship a trailer to the nearest dealer. I am going to order a Myco as soon as I figure out how much the tax refund is going to contribute. Another great trailer company is Eagle trailers. Both Myco and Eagle have west coast dealers. Contact the company and find out who that might be. On another note, the trailers are completely custom fit to your boat, and with your choice of colors etc...

Dave

Tito
01-16-2001, 06:16 PM
Call Rolls axle and get a quote from them shipped a location near you . They are the best trailers I have seen, the best deal , quality and features. Rick can provide you with their toll free number or seach the post.

Blewbyu
01-16-2001, 07:08 PM
Eric-I would echo Lens laments re:Shorelander and Roadrunner.I've had good luck with E-Z loaders in the past-but the toughest trailer I ever had was an old galvanized Calkins roller rig w/brakes and dual axles.That sucker weighed a ton-but you could knock buildings down with it!If you could find a used Calkins(since they're now defunct)single axle bunk trailer w/brakes-you would probably be set for life.I can't recall ever seeing a Calkins BUNK trailer tho.Have you tried Olympic Boats Redmond used trailer yard?Every once in awhile you can pick up a jewel there.Calkins galvanizing is really heavy duty!

EricG
01-16-2001, 07:40 PM
Thanks for all of the great info!! I'll have to start making calls.

Jeff,
I'll check out the Used Yard you mentioned...I bought a new Calkins for my Whaler a few years back - they were fantastic trailers...too bad they don't exist anymore. Also, I suppose I can give a good recommendation for EZ Loader, the trailer I've got now is a 1974 Square Fender Tandem model, and it's still got a little life left in it....(very little)...its just a little embarassing pulling into the Launch with my bright yellow Z all shiney, and this obnoxious Darth Vader looking trailer....

Thanks again,

EG

Forrest
01-17-2001, 11:13 AM
I have a galvanized steel EZ Loader trailer under my 16 that I bought in 1980 to replace the original Rocket trailer (junk). It still looks great, tows well, supports the boat well, and is to launch (but not load). I did have to replace the axle since the spindle broke from unnoticed corrosion where it is welded to the axle. Luckly I was going only 2-MPH when it happened, but I was some 20 miles away from home. What did I do? Called my little sister to bring me my welder, a generator, and some scrap steel pieces! The spindle didn't totally break off, but the wheel was layed over about 45 degrees (OK, I hit the curb at a Jiffy Mart). I jacked ther trailer up, bent the wheel/spindle as far back in to position that I could without breaking it off and then welded steel splints to it ot hold it all together, then drove it back home at 20 MPH. I'm sure that everyone behind me on that two-lane road just loved me! But anyway, I would buy another EZ Loader trailer, but I would not get the version with all the rollers again. On an uneven ramp, it is almost impossible to get it to load correctly and you cannot drive the boat on the trailer with those rollers. As soon as you let off the gas, the boat wants to roll back off into the water. I refer to mine as a Hard Loader trailer.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 01-17-2001).]

Blewbyu
01-17-2001, 09:59 PM
Forrest-I certainly agree on your comments re:roller trailers(any brand)100%!They suck,and if your safety cable/chain comes loose,you launch!Regardless of where you are-and if that happens to be 75+ in the fastlane,you gonna have a mess and perhaps fatalities.On a steep ramp,it's always a joy to try to release your safety with 3000 lbs of boat trying to launch itself.The ergonomoc downside is that the rollers will dimple/dent fibreglass if the boat is left for long periods of time on the trailer.Lesser boats than Donzis will suffer this indignity in less than a year.They usually get a hook at the stern for starters.Then there are the rollers.If not lubed religiously they will grind their axles off or freeze up.Bottom line-KISS.Keep it simple and safe with a BUNK trailer.They do EVERYTHING so much better!

Forrest
01-18-2001, 08:24 AM
Yea Scott, what ever happened to Hitchhiker Trailers? They were are great! They always looked good, even with the yellow fenders, and with its extra low enter of gravety, towing is a breeze. The only problem is that it is so low, you can never put the outdrive all the way down while the boat is on the trailer.

------------------
Forrest

Len
01-18-2001, 12:52 PM
http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif Out of curiosity, what do you guys call a "float-on" trailer in definition? I have always unhooked my lights and buried the thing underwater so as not to EVER have to push/pull the boat off/on or rub anything.I never used my winch for more than about 4-6" of cranking when taking the boat out of the water. Is this "floating on" or are these trailers, (float-on) different?

Forrest
01-18-2001, 03:35 PM
Len, that's exactly how we do it in Florida. Only difference is that we usually don't disconnect the lights!

When I lived in Virginia Beach, VA, there were a number of ramps the were so short you couldn't back in any farther than a few feet. For that reason, a bunk-type float on/off type trailer wouldn't work and that was the main reason that I bought the EZ Loader trailer with all those little rollers and a power wench.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 01-18-2001).]

Len
01-18-2001, 04:01 PM
Every ramp here is about 15-20 degrees and long enough to bury a trailer at any tide with a 20' boat on it and not have the back tires of your rig even getting wet. Sealed tail-lights in salt water don't ever seem to seal, hence burnt out bulbs, corroded sockets etc. Unhooking the juice and lots of grease in the sockets seems to be the answer. Trailers don't last long if you look after your boat. The lesser of the two evils...