PDA

View Full Version : Bravo III on a 22 Classic?

AVickers
06-22-2002, 10:26 AM
All this talk about a drive swap got me to looking and I've found a complete Bravo III (less props) that I can afford (mentally, at least). One problem is that it's a 1.81:1 drive.

By my calculations, if I use 30" props on it, I'll have about the same overall ratio as my 1.32:1 Alpha w/ a 22" prop. Anybody got any experience w/ the Bravo III that can confirm or trash this theory? Even if the ratio is the same, the slip might not be the same 'cause there's two props. Would that work to increase the overall ratio? Or would the hydromotive resistance overcome the advantage of dual props?

The main problem I see with this theory is that 30" props is as high as they go... I wouldn't be able to "prop up" from there. Getting gears to change the ratio appears to be a rather expensive proposition -- something like $1,200 for the parts? And uppers are rather expensive as well. (It's a good thing they don't break like the Alphas.)

BTW: Is anybody running a Bravo III on a Classic 22? I've heard that they'll chine walk at about 70 because there's no side thrust to "stabilize" things. (This may be correct: I drove a very fast Volvo Duoprop and it was very spooky at speed -- lots of darting around.)

But then again, the Blackhawk doesn't appear to suffer from a lack of side thrust...does it?

Woodsy
06-24-2002, 06:41 AM
AVickers..

Your first propblem with the B-3 is that you cannot get props bigger than a 28P, and actually I heard that that realistically the only ones you will find is a a 26P or less. The props you can find are not at all performance props. They are big round eared props made to move really heavy boats. If you could score a set of Blackhawk props, it might help, but they are made to run in a semi-surfaced postion, not buried deep in the water. The gear ratio is an easy fix, you can have the marina change the ratio to whatever standard Bravo ratio you want. If you are going to spend the $$$ to convert your Alpha to a Bravo setup, go with a standard Bravo.... lots more prop selection, and cheaper to keep.... you should be able to find a used B-1 setup for about $1500 for the drive. Check out the classifieds over on OSO...

Woodsy :D :D