PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk drive questions

oceanwarrior
04-10-2002, 08:17 PM
I'm restoring an 18ft classic donzi, and i'm considering using a Blackhawk drive mated to a 383ci smallblock. Does anyone know if this drive would work well on this hull?

HP 600SC
04-10-2002, 09:16 PM
Yes it will work very well, there is a guy on here
that has done it. I can't remember his name......
Woodsy, help me out .....who has done this here??
Ted M.

CDMA
04-10-2002, 09:32 PM
Steve Marr aka Waleyetoo

http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=139

Chris

Bad-Tat
04-10-2002, 09:54 PM
Anyone know of a drive shower that fits the Blackhawk drive? Simreck Halo custom doesn't fit.

Woodsy
04-10-2002, 10:14 PM
Warrior...

Ted is right, it will work AWESOME on your hull. The person you will need to contact is Steve Marr aka Waleye. You can find his pics in the registry. He has a restored X-18 with a stock 350MAG MPI setup. He did ALOT of work to the hull, reinforced stringers, etc. He is running right around 78mph @ 4800 rpm with some reworked 31P props to 32P. I think the 383 setup would be great with the exception of a few drawbacks. You will have to rework the transom to raise the X-dim, and you will need to fab a new hatch etc. You could also get on of those Imco setback boxes with the 3" lift. The hardest part is the props. They do not make them anymore and they are getting scarce. They also did not make them in a pitch above 31. This will limit your HP rating on your 383. The beauty of a BlackHawk is that you do not need tremendous HP to go fast. Steve's setup is bone stock with a warranty from Mercruiser. E-mail if you have any other questions.

Bateman, you need to have a custom one made for the drive. Unless you can adapt one from a Bravo unit.

Woodsy :D :D

PS: For the record, I am in the process of piecing together a BlackHawk setup for my 22 Classic.

Woodsy
04-11-2002, 06:02 AM
Scott...

The reason you have to rework the X-dim is that the BlackHawk is a surface drive. The X-dim on our Donzi's is set up for a standard type sterndrive. In order for the BlackHawk to work properly, you need to raise your X-dim by 2 1/2 - 3 inches over that of a standard Bravo setup. There is a whole bunch more to it than that, but thats the short version....

Woodsy :) :)

oceanwarrior
04-12-2002, 09:54 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the input on the Blackhawk drive.The installation sounds challenging, but then again this restoration is no cake walk.The hull is a 1969 Corsican that was raced for many years. The term "rode hard and hung up wet" definitely applies here.I think it would be easier to make new molds off this boat than to fix all the fractures.I probably should have let this one pass by, but when I pulled up in the sellers driveway and realized it was a Corsican, I just had to have it.By the way this guy had owned the boat for 12 years and when I said WOW this is a Corsican! He said, no it's a Donzi. Enough said. at this point I realized I wasn't just buying this boat, I was rescuing it. Thanks again for all your help.

BigGrizzly
04-13-2002, 01:21 AM
I own a 1971 Corsican and love it. The raised hatch will allow a high rise intake and/or big block to be installed without cutting the hatch. I personally wouldn't use a blackhawk on that boat. If it were me and I had to change from the Volvo(which I won't) I would use a Bravo and a imco shortie, parts are easyto get. My boat has a Volvo 290 drive(added it)with power trim and tilt. It took me one weekend to change from the Volvo 270.

Randy

oceanwarrior
04-14-2002, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the reply Randy, It's funny you mentioned hatches. My 69 is missing one side.Any idea where I might either find one, or have you heard of someone with a mold? Shortly after purchasing the boat I bought a Volvo 290 in excellent condition, thinking I was going to keep the original H/M setup. What is the HP.rating on that drive? Will the Hydromotive nosecone fit it?
Thanks, Chip.