PDA

View Full Version : N.E. 188th Street

roadtrip
01-15-2001, 11:35 AM
Gang,
Just got back late last night from a long weekend in the florida keys which included a quick afternoon in miami and of course a run up to 188th. Hadn't been there in a few years, so it was time to go check it out and get some atmosphere.
Magnum had two monsters in final stages of production. There were three on blocks sitting in front in lime green, white, and fuscia! Is it just me or do these things look like Grady White on steroids? Massive hull molds. And then the color choices. The money to buy a current magnum sure doesn't transfer into good taste.
Fort Apache. DOA. We were around for several hours and it looked like the doors were welded shut. What a shame.
TNT marine. The mixed emotions skater was in the water for engine testing. What a beautiful sound coming down the block.
Cigarette. Very busy. We banged on the door looking for a tour and got one from Neill Hernandez. They may have money troubles as rumored about everywhere, but they are cranking out boats. We saw 18-20 35, 38, 42, and 46 stepped boats in various stages of production. The finishing touches being put on an all black 35 for Padron tequila. Finally, we got a look at their new racing plug work. Not the appearances of a company getting ready to go belly up.
Any way, what a great day! Sun blazing, racing motors rumbling, and fiberglass curing. Don's legend is alive and well in north miami!
Todd Somerville

Forrest
01-15-2001, 09:00 PM
Wow!

------------------
Forrest

RickR
01-15-2001, 09:10 PM
Well?
Did you do any boating in the Keys?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

roadtrip
01-15-2001, 10:13 PM
RickR,
Funny you should mention boating in the Keys. We rented a convertible, so we were able to thaw out in the sun and enjoy the views across the bridges. As we are rolling through key largo, I saw an 18 Classic with white sides and a blue stripe hooked up to an older pickup sitting in front of a strip mall. I thought real hard about turning around, walking into that store, and begging a total stranger for a ride. Thought better of it and kept driving, even though any fellow Donzi Classic owner is never a stranger. Kind of regret not making that u-turn. Beautiful water, lots of it, and smooth. Great weekend though!
Todd

roadtrip
01-16-2001, 10:15 PM
As Arnie said, I'LL BE BACK.