PDA

View Full Version : speedometer question

Digger
04-10-2002, 09:20 AM
My speedo is inop. The pickup line has come out of it's hole in the drive...must have been some type of fastener there to hold it in place. I dunno what it is or even looked like. (Attachment at back of speedometer is OK) Can anyone help me out? What piece am I looking for?
thx in advance!

2biguns
04-10-2002, 10:43 AM
Digger,

I had the exact same thing just happen to mine and it was a simple fix. Trim outdrives all the way up and look for the black rubber hose running into the starboard drive (at least that was the setup on mine). There's a plastic fitting in the back of the lower unit where the hose fits. Push it on tight.

Good luck.

Steve

Digger
04-10-2002, 11:37 AM
Steve, thanks! I seem to be missing the plastic fitting, I'll get it replaced.

'poodle, not sure how to make it secure with a cable tie...there isn't anything to put the cable tie around (except the hose)... of course I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, I may be missing your intent :rolleyes:

thx for the responses guys-

2biguns
04-10-2002, 12:48 PM
I wonder if there is a way to force water into the intake on the lower unit and look and see if it's squirting out through the platic fitting?

Wintersux 1
04-10-2002, 02:26 PM
Bravo drive has a hole in the housing near where the hose attaches. The clamp to hold the tube in place has a barb which fits in the hole. I have had to put mine back on a couple of times.

Howe
04-10-2002, 07:21 PM
I guess this means you want a GPS for your birthday?! wink

ToonaFish
04-11-2002, 12:26 AM
Or a better pickup line...

Bunches,

Celene "your sign?"

Digger
04-11-2002, 10:36 AM
thanks all...figured out what I need, my dealer is getting me the part.

GPS speedo WOULD be nice wink
but
I'd rather have a Flowscan dual fuel flow meter :D

Digger
04-29-2002, 07:54 AM
just to close this one out, thought I'd post this pic for future reference. here's the part that the speedo pickup tube attaches to on a Bravo 1 drive (note the "madpoodle appreciation cabletie"..thx mr poodle :) )

http://www.donzi.net/photos/mhowardsmallspeedo.jpg

mattyboy
04-29-2002, 08:12 AM
Digger just a word of caution,
I'm in the phone business and use tie wraps all the time I would cut the wrap closer to the lock that little point left ovet is lethal .
I have gotten some nasty cuts and my partner got 32 stitches in his forearm, they are like razor blades so cut it as flush as possible

Matt

Digger
04-29-2002, 08:37 AM
Matt, good tip there, thx!

Looped
04-29-2002, 08:42 AM
What you could also do is pickup a real cheep soldering iron or heat up an old screwdriver and just melt the sharp plastic edge so that it is smooth. I’ll second that on the lethal sharpness.

Craig

mattyboy
04-29-2002, 09:42 AM
Looped ,
that's a good idea learn something new everyday, all my techs smoke I'sure a lighter would do the same

Matt

Looped
04-29-2002, 10:24 AM
mattyboy,
Lighters also work great but sometimes it's too windy to keep a lighter going and it can drive you nuts. I've been a victim many times from an attack of the hungry tie wrap, now if I could do something with that burning muffler on the chainsaw :rolleyes: .

Forrest
04-29-2002, 11:01 AM
. . . or use a tie-wrap cutter tool. It's easy and it tightens the wrap and then cuts it off flush with no sharp edge. It's a little plastic and metal device made by T&B that pulls the tie wrap and cuts it flush with a twist of the hand. When I used to rig outboards for a living it was mandatory to cut all tie-wrap tails with the the cutter tool to avoid being sued. Also, black tie-wraps last much longer than white tire-wraps in the sun.