PDA

View Full Version : Outdrives

Jamie
01-14-2001, 08:20 AM
OK guys, I am thoroughly confused. My boat is 3/4 of the way complete and I don't know what to use for an outdrive. The boat is a 1966 (18') 2+3 with a 351W. Of course, I want the best of both worlds: reliability and performance. I want the outdrive to bolt up to the old Volvo bell housing. After reading the postings regarding trim tabs, this helped to further confuse me because I thought I could trim the boat out with the power trim. Excuse my ignorance - any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

[This message has been edited by Jamie (edited 01-14-2001).]

BigGrizzly
01-14-2001, 08:55 AM
If you want power trim and the Volvo bell housing, there is only two ways (unless you are a great machineist). The volvo 280T (Phillip and Vickie King's boat) transom plate with trim. This is hard to find but is a straight bolt on or the do what I did and use a 290 drive (has power trim) easier to come by, commonly used on large house boats. You know the kind you rent for a weelend on a lake. All the 250, 270 and 280 stuff bolts onto it. Napa still has a lot of parts available. Four years and not a problem. It took me about an hour to modify the hole in the transom. than a beer then epoxy and seal the bare wood.

Trim tabs won't lift the bow, just push it down or level the ride. It would be easier to show you than write a novel about it. Tabs give better low speed plane, say 2200 rpms in my particular case. With the trim I don't even use the tabs except when I have hippo butt, a friend of our family's, on board.

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 01-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 01-14-2001).]

doug
01-14-2001, 09:46 AM
I seen a pretty slick set up on a Volvo 280
on a X-18 using a Mercury trim pump and cylinders from a early OB you only needed
to make a bracket for the out drive the cylinders mounted to the transom with stock
brackets, incidentally the X-18 was one of the
best I have ever seen. It had a jomar 350
Glenwood exhaust 380 HP and n02 it was for
sale here in Mi. but I couldn't afford it
Doug

------------------
old Yeller

[This message has been edited by doug (edited 01-14-2001).]

Tony
01-14-2001, 10:27 AM
Doug,

Where was the X-18 in Michigan? How long ago did you see it for sale?

doug
01-14-2001, 05:49 PM
The X-18 was in Canton I think the year was 84 the Boat was a 76.Wow seems like last week
Where is Portland Mi.
Doug