PDA

View Full Version : How about a cleaver (prop)???

G - FORCE 88
06-20-2002, 09:14 PM
would this be a wise choice? Is this better than my 25p Mirage? What are the pros and cons of this prop? any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Jon :D :D wink

Murphy
06-20-2002, 11:15 PM
You ain't gonna believe this.. but I've tried numerous props on my 22 Classic. Mirage Plus, Spinnelli, Hill, and a couple I can't pronounce... in the end, the Mercury Cleaver that came on this boat outperforms them all. Better take off, better turns, less (almost no) porpoising, respectable top end. Every time I try a new one my wife starts to laugh... she knows I'll be putting the Cleaver back on the next day. Well worth a try in my opinion.

Murph

DonziDave
06-21-2002, 09:40 AM
I'm Going to stick with my cleaver! I also have tried numerous different props but always go back to the cleaver that came from the factory. It's on my '86 - 18 w/ Merc 350. Prop is 21 pitch cleaver. It has a great hole shot, loads of mid-range punch (the best part), good top end. Only negative is that since a cleaver is a stern lift prop, I would like to get the nose up a little more sometimes (she still will get up a walk the dog).
Dave

Rootsy
06-21-2002, 10:00 AM
I sea trialed an 86 18 that was spinning a 21 cleaver... i could trim it danged near all the way out and it would barely lift the nose but it would spin 4800 rpm solid with the severely worn out 350 mag. the boat was solid as far as feel at WOT but felt very weighed down. the speedo was bouncin just past 60 though and i forgot to take the GPS...

so where is the best place to aquire a cleaver???

G - FORCE 88
06-21-2002, 02:46 PM
I am looking at a new 25p Mercury Cleaver. Is this a good idea? I would like to pitch it up to a 27p or 28p . what do you guys think
Jon :D :cool: :D

G - FORCE 88
06-21-2002, 06:50 PM
do cleavers get as much lift as a Mirage? what will it do to my rpm's? :D

Rootsy
06-21-2002, 07:17 PM
i believe that a cleaver is designed to provide very little bow lift and more neutral lift to stern lift.. the mirage provides a ton of bow lift least on my 16...

smoothie
06-21-2002, 09:25 PM
Man am I glad to read this post!With all the talk about Mirage 25p being the first choice for a BBC
I was about ready to s@#t can my beaver,I mean cleaver and go buy one,now I think I will hold on to it. :D

Rootsy
06-21-2002, 10:56 PM
so here is a twist to the topic... SS props tend to come highly polished but when you have one labbed it is returned satin in nature. this is supposed to help increase the bite of the prop from my understanding. would it be wise to hit a stainless prop with a very light sandblast to just knock the shine off? or would this cause a bad case of cavitation because of all the minute pits in the surface? i know someone has an opinion in this somewhere!

G - FORCE 88
06-22-2002, 12:25 AM
i just got my Mirage back from being sandblasted. I highly suggest it. The prop is super smooth. But my cleaver is on it way!! :-)
2 props now! :D