PDA

View Full Version : 383 but AOTH looking bad :(

CDMA
04-09-2002, 12:01 AM
Well I was going to keep it quiet until AOTH but at this point it looks like I might not even make AOTH so I figured I would let the cat out of the bag.

As some of you know I am in the process of doing an alpha to bravo swap this winter on my beloved 18. In the interim I discovered e bay and saved enough money to do an engine upgrade. Of course it always starts as a little head and cam swap and goes from there...well it went...

I got in contact with my engine builder who did my 615 hp procharged 454. I was very impressed with him and his dedication to quality. I really like the fact that he is a one man show. He does every single part of the engine building process. From the cleaning of the parts to the machining to assembly.

We settled on the following:
350 block 4 bolt main .030 over
3.75 forged 4340 Scat crank ( internal balance)
Scat 5.7 5140 rods ( full floating)
Speed Pro Forged pistons
Pro action 72 cc CNC ported heads 200 cc
Inconel Exhaust valves
Manley severe duty stainless valves
Edelbrock air gap intake
Holley 750
9.2 to 1 compression

The cam is the only open item right now. We are waiting on that to see if I can come up with enough $ to go to stainless marine before we make a set decision.

I have nothing but great things to say about Scott at Advanced Racing and Machine in MD. He gave me a REDICULOUS deal on this engine and it comes with a full dyno sheet and a 1 year warranty. I really don't understand how he makes any money. He warranty's everything. He gave me a 1 year warranty on my blower motor. Who ever heard of that!!!

So that is the plan for the 18. I am still hoping to make AOTH but my engine is not going to be ready till the 27th of april so it will be real close. Worst case scenario GEOO says he needs someone to drive his boat while he is with Heather and Hailey...oh darn what a rough life... wink wink wink

So I will post the dyno sheets as soon as I get them. I am really just hoping for a reliable package.

Chris

oldLenny
04-09-2002, 12:29 AM
'could you put the "procharged 615HP 454" in there in the meantime?... :D

Formula Jr
04-09-2002, 12:31 AM
Isn't it interesting that it's HARD to tell everybody AOTH may be out of reach? My contractor freaked when I defined the deadline. Screw All Of It. AOTH is a fish run. There is no reason to it. You just go. And run. AND RUN YOUR HEART OUT. But, hey, heads up, Geoo offered me a ride before you.
An I'm going to take the ride this year. :D :D

CDMA
04-09-2002, 12:45 AM
Len,

I can't even tell my dad this is a 383...I can pull off the 383 looks like a 350 thing but I think he would notice the 454 blower motor. wink

Owen,

I love your posts! Well GEOO said I can drive... :p

GEOO
04-09-2002, 06:35 AM
Don't worry Owen, Chris can drive her, he has driven her before. However, this winter the mouse worked out alittle on the dyno. A few more Horses for the Grand Awakening at Cumberland. And I think I found mufflers!!!! Anyway, Owen you can control the computor (full engine controls) and set the rev limiter, (speed). Or you guys can sit in the X-18 and get towed by a pontoon boat!!!
GEOO

Digger
04-09-2002, 07:54 AM
Chris, great motor!

"damn the torpedo's! full speed ahead!!" see you at AOTH!

TORYSMINX
04-10-2002, 11:06 AM
Hey Chris ,

Glad things are going well for you. About the Carb, I think that 750cfm is too big. I am switching carbs to a demon I think. Check with the builder but I think that the 750 is way to much fuel. I had a bit of fuel in the oil.

Well good luck and keep the posts coming

HP 600SC
04-10-2002, 07:59 PM
No AOTH for me either.....Too busy at work :(
Maybe next year.....

CDMA
04-10-2002, 09:34 PM
Tory,

At that extreeme it sounds like a jetting problem to me not carb size. The CFM of the carb deals with how much air it delivers not fuel. Jets take care of fuel metering. It is a little more complicated then that but I know for a fact that a 383 can run real well with a 750.
If you have that much excess fuel you are talking more then just a carb size (CFM) problem.

Chris

TORYSMINX
04-11-2002, 09:16 AM
Thanks Chris and Poodle,

I think that I need to re-examine the problem. I am going to try to fool around with the jets to see if that works. I will have to admit I am not super knowledgable on these situations, just trying to give some suggestions.

I do have the soot on the transom after a few hour run and this is going to be visited. It is a brand new carb so I think I have a lot more tinkering.

I cant wait to see what the 383 in that 18 will do..

Gary S.
04-11-2002, 03:59 PM
How the carb sizing was explained to me by one of the Holley employees,,,,is that the size of a carb. say a 600 CFM,, is how much air it can PROPERLY mix with fuel. If the engine has a 600 cfm carb and needs say,,,720 cfm.,,,it will pull it thru, it can't mix the fuel and air though. So to small a carb can actually cause an over rich condition. My thought is to always be a tad over and down size your jets to be safe.

CDMA
04-11-2002, 04:19 PM
I am going to mess around with it and see what works best. The engine comes with the 750 and I have a DP 650 at home I can try. So I will try them both and get some numbers and seat of the pants feel for both and let you guys know.

Chris

Donzified
04-11-2002, 07:55 PM
After the last time my power valve on the 650 dblpump went and spoiled my weekend I replaced it with a plug. I never noticed a difference.Does a 350/350h.p. need a power valve? It's water not pavement.
Hey Madpuddle after rubbing on the four vent scoops on the 1976 X it looks like two may be after market.