PDA

View Full Version : TRIM TABS AGAIN

Craig
01-12-2001, 11:08 AM
I know this has been discussed before, but what was the preffered position of tabs on a 16 again; A-Way in near the drive, or B-Way out away from the drive??? As I recall in a pic of, I think Forrest's Inca Gold 16, they were mounted way out.

Len
01-12-2001, 03:26 PM
I have heard/read in here a bit, that they are supposed to be mounted way out towards the sheer. (outer-most outside) I see them everywhere...

RickR
01-12-2001, 03:40 PM
What are the tabs for?
What is your top speed?
What size tabs?

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Craig
01-12-2001, 07:46 PM
Rick,
Don't have tabs yet. Was asking re: best placement on a 16. Would also be interested in knowing a size anyone has had good results with since you mentioned it. Top speed low 50's (new engine) Used to be 57 with the old engine. At any rate I am most interested in them just for leveling ride to avoid telling everyone to rearrange once underway (currently standard procedure with 4 or 5 people).
Craig

RickR
01-12-2001, 09:02 PM
I prefer the Bennett Sport Tabs for your application 6X9s. The Sport tabs are made with heavier gauge metal and have a better switch.
I would mount them 1/4" from hull bottom centered on the outside strakes like in the pic of Genuine Risk.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1261326&a=9670185&p=32211850&Sequence=0&res=high
I have Trimmasters on the 22 they are a little cheaper and I like their switch better than the Bennetts but they have a hinge with a pin that rattles a little when the boat is at rest.

BTW If you want to save a little $$$ and do some horse trading, my 12x9s on the 22 are too small. If you or someone else wants to buy the Bennett or TrimMaster (Pumps are the same)12x16s, I'll trade my 12x9s (tabs and cylinders only) for the 12x16s (tabs and cylinders only) and you can use all the other new parts (Pump, wiring harness and switch). I'd give a premium for the Tab only swap.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 01-12-2001).]

BigGrizzly
01-13-2001, 07:49 AM
If your trying for big speed and have power trim, place them close to the keel. Trimed out at full bore and lightly tap the tabs down and it will lift it up, this has saved me embarrisment several times. Too much and you lose. Personally i hardly use them on the Corsican. On the Criterion, the port is always a tad down due to ballance of family and water pickup.

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 01-13-2001).]

Craig
01-14-2001, 06:07 AM
Thanks for all the "tips on tabs" guys! Hadn't checked in for a few days. Now have more to go on. Thanks Again.
Craig