PDA

View Full Version : looking for local knowledge- Midwest Donzi Club

WOT-sup
06-20-2002, 07:00 AM
About 2 weeks after getting home from AOTH II, I got the word that life as I knew it was about to change. I call Sarasota home, and although I travel for a living, that is where I 'hang'. Starting in September, it looks like I will be 'hanging' somewhere in the vicinity of Detroit Metro Airport for as many as 18 days a month! This could go on indefinitely.

My first reaction, well, one of them anyway, was to think 'I will never get a chance to finish my Project ('72 18' 2+3). Next thought was, 'what am I going to do to keep busy up there. It was obvious!! Take the Donzi north!! Finish it up there. Maybe hit AOTH III on the return trip to FL!

Soooo, Midwest Donzi folks, here are a couple of questions:

1. I would be looking to rent a shed/shop/garage etc. that offered a safe place to keep the boat and was suitable to work on it for most of the winter. (Hope to have the glass work done by the time I head north, so the work would be basically the total re rig of what is now just hull and deck). The location would have to be within about 1 hr of DTW Metro Airport (I'll be 'on-call').
Is anyone familiar with where to rent such a place or have any ideas?

2. May be interested in trucking the boat up rather than self- trailering it. Although I will take a car up there, the preferred one to take from our home (FL) isn't a tow vehicle ('89 Ford Probe). Alternatively, I could tow it up behind a 2WD Rodeo.
Anyone have any recommendations for boat transport companies?? Lots of empty trucks coming out of FL in the fall.
Also, is a 2WD SUV at all feasible as a vehicle for general driving (not towing) once the snow and ice arrives?? Or is it the FWD Probe, hands down.

Since we are in the early planning stages of how to prepare for the next phase of the ' great adventure', any responses to the above would be appreciated. Will also be looking for a place to rent or share for myself, any scoop on that would be appreciated also.

Once I get settled in, Midwest Donzi Club, let's get together for a beer. Actually it will be more like I'll watch you have a beer because I'll be on-call. But we can talk boat.

Soon to be doing the 'reverse-snowbird',

Brad Whitmore :)

If you're curious about what brought this 'change' about, it was precipitated by events in the airline industry as they filter down to my parade. If you're familiar with the business, you guessed it, I'm going on Reserve. Basically means that I have to be available on short notice to cover for flight crews that, for what ever reason, aren't able to fly as they were scheduled. Sometimes very busy, but sometimes there are days-on- end of sitting with nothing occurring in flight operations that has to be covered, hence the possibility LOTS of time for other pursuits.

Tony
06-20-2002, 04:02 PM
Back to the top for Brad's sake. Hey, Detroit guys...any suggestions?

Sagbay32
06-21-2002, 07:02 AM
Well, first of all I would not want to drive a 2wd suv in the snow. I would take the probe even though it has less clearence.

Try and get a hold of Turbo2256 He lives closer to metro than I do. He also is into doing restos on boats (lots of good engine knowledge as well).

I live in Northwestern Oakland county. Feel free to email me with any local questions.

Rootsy
06-21-2002, 08:48 AM
IF you are gonna stay primarily in metro detroit or the burbs i don't think you will need to worry much about snow accumulation, more worrisome is slippery roads but generally high traffic areas are much better maintained than the sticks where i am... if you are not used to driving in less than optimal conditions i'd opt for the front wheel drive... rear wheel drive takes a bit more awareness and finess when you get a bit squirrly to avoid looping it...

boldts
06-21-2002, 12:37 PM
Brad,
Welcome to the NORTH Midwest. I can't help you much with the where to store your boat or even where to plant yourself, but as far as meeting some of us Midwest Club members, last year we held a couple Donzi gatherings on the river north of Lake St.Clare. I haven't read or heard about a formal Donzi gathering in that area of MI this year, but MI is the largest boat population in the US. It has many scenic lakes for us pond boaters and I'm sure at some time this summer, a gathering will develop in the Detroit area. Another event that a few of us attended last year was the Detroit Boat Show. Had a very neat dinner in Greek Town afterwards and of course boating was the main topic of our conversations.

BTW, how do you ever get to enjoy your Donzi if you are on call 24 Hrs., 365 days a year? Do they page you and you are expected to be at the airport ready to go in 30 minutes? Do you ever get time when your not on-call? Oops, dumb question, you must have had time off to attend AOTH II this year.

Any how.... I'm sure all the MI guys are adding your e-mail address to their address books as I am. We'll be sure to keep you in the loop when events and gatherings occur.

Scott Boldt
Acting President of the Midwest Donzi Club :D

Sam
06-21-2002, 02:19 PM
Shameless plug ! Brad if you are going to be in this neck of the woods for that amount of time you might want to think about a corporate apartment. My wife owns a corporate housing company that may be of some help to you. As far as boating and or storage in this area give me a shout. I live work and boat the metro Detroit area and would be glad to give you some freindly direction.

Sam

WOT-sup
06-23-2002, 11:43 AM
Thanks so much for the responses Tony, Sagbay 32, Jamie Root, boldts and Sam. Glad to start getting some early info together and will be in touch regarding the suggestions and referrals. Look fwd to seeing you folks up there; it will make my semi-relocation all the better.

HEY... somebody promoted me from being a 'junior member' to a 'star carrying somebody'....THANKS.

Brad

Scott, since you asked, the deal on 'reserve' is that it is it's for 18 days a month, other than that I am a 'free' man and can go elsewhere (like home if I'm lucky). Also, you get 8 consecutive hrs off a day; the idea being so you will be 'rested', because a trip assignment can result in a 14+ hr workday. They expect you to be at the aircraft within a couple of hrs of getting the call. Any of this can happen anytime day or night. This won't start for me until Sept, until then I will have a much more ?civilized? life.