PDA

View Full Version : Handling Issues 22' Classic

yorkey
07-15-2003, 02:15 AM
Hi everyone! I just got a beautiful, 1992 22' Classic and she's awesome! She's got the 454 with a King Cobra. I just wanted to see if she is supposed to feel like she wants to tip over every time I take a turn. Unless I'm crazy, it actually almost feels as though it leans worse when making a left turn then it does when making a right turn. Do they all handle this way or is there something I should look into?

Tomahawk
07-15-2003, 04:52 AM
Yorkey - yes, what you are experiencing is quite normal with the 22 Classic. It's a trade off for other positive performance characteristics - like excellent handling in rough choppy water. Just warn your passengers, especially on the port side, before you make a sharpe turn or, do what I do and don't do that. You will grow to appreciate the boat more each time you drive it. BTW, welcome to the Donzi Registry!

Cuda
07-15-2003, 05:35 AM
Give me back my avatar! :)

Cuda
07-15-2003, 07:09 AM
Actually, I'm headed down today to check out and hopefully bring back Dallelama's Minx. The Harbormaster gave me my avatar anyway, so I can't really lay claim to it. :)

Greg K
07-15-2003, 07:19 AM
Take your time in learning the handling characteristics of your 22. Also in choppy conditions and turning watch the throttle, I've had a few occasions when it just did want to level out, which is a little un-nerving when it's happened.

Donzi's with Kings are always welcome.. wink

Ranman
07-15-2003, 08:09 AM
What you are experiencing is totally normal. Once used to it, you will most likely enjoy the lean. The reason it feels worse on left turns is due to the props right hand rotation. The torque from the prop is trying to bury the port side of the boat. The reason the helm is on the right is because the torque from the prop will hold the driver up, creating better balance. These Donzis are very weight sensitive. You will soon learn this as you get passengers in the boat.

Also, Yorkey, If you happen to submit multiple posts, you can go back and delete the unnecessary copies. by editing your post to delete it.

P.S. Everyone, take it easy on the guy. He's got 1 friggin post and you're on his case about an avitar? Seriously, he didn't steal any avitar. When you register, you get to select from a standard list of avitars or select and load a custom one. If you look at the standard list, the "cuda" is in it along with several other previously custom avitars. Give the guy a break. You guys have been here and should know better. :rolleyes:

MOP
07-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Hi and welcome to the board, having just returned from the 1000 Island Donzi meet and finaly getting to see my Favorite boat run! The conditions we ran in would normally be stayed tied to the dock time. The classic 22 lived up to all my expectations, so not are they only beautiful but great preformers.

Just keep playing and :D :D :D

1996Z15
07-15-2003, 09:58 AM
Cuda good luck with your intended purchase. Please post plenty of pictures when you get back.

Murphy
07-15-2003, 10:49 AM
Yorkey,

You don't mention what prop you're using, but I recommend you try a Hydromotive Quad IV on the 22. It produced a significant improvement in overall handling on mine.

Murph

yorkey
07-15-2003, 12:22 PM
Wow! What a great bunch of people! Thank you for so much information in less than 24 hours of posting my concerns. Yeah, regarding the Cuda avatar thing, man my dad had a 1970 Barracuda with a 440-6pack I grew up with, I LOVED that thing, so I dug the avatar when I saw the option to choose one. I don't need to be pissing anybody off though... I'm too new for that man.

DonzigoJR
07-15-2003, 01:02 PM
Yorkey,
Beware!!! These are big dogs with a little bite.. :D Congrats on the new boat, hope you enjoy it. I also just bought a 22 and it was love at first jump... :cool: Anyway enjoy and don't worry about these guys, worst thing that could happen here is you'll learn something and find a huge group of new friends due to the same love.....DONZI's wink

Welcome Aboard
David

longbow68
07-15-2003, 05:02 PM
hey yorkey.yes Donzis do handle a little differently but just take some time and you will really enjoy them.I have a 16 classic with a 350 merc and spinning a quicksilver 23.The folks on this board have helped me more than they know.I will just sit down late and read the days post.keep it balanced and enjoy.

catch 22
07-15-2003, 06:16 PM
Murphy:
Yorkey,

You don't mention what prop you're using, but I recommend you try a Hydromotive Quad IV on the 22. It produced a significant improvement in overall handling on mine.

Murph Welcome aboard, my mirage plus is a couple mph faster, but always on the edge. I to have a hydromotive quad IV and find it to be alot more stable.

Rodger
07-18-2003, 03:39 PM
If you have trim tabs on your boat, you can use them to aid in turning. Drag the tab on the side your turning and the boat will turn sharper with less lean. Be sure to start bringing the tab back up before you complete the turn so that it is returned to normal when your going straight again. I do this when I have certain people in the boat or I'm turning at a relatively slow but, on plane, speed.

Stan
07-18-2003, 05:10 PM
Hey,

Welcome to the club. I have a 1989 22 Classic w/ 454 mag/ Bravo 1. Very clean setup. I live in Sherman Oaks....in the Valley. I usually go to Castaic Lake with an occasional trip to Lake Havasu.

You don't find many Donzi's here on the West coast so get ready for the many compliments that come with owning a Donzi.

Maybe we can hook up some time, Keep in touch Any questions just ask or call.

Stan......818-406-1802

:cool: :cool: :cool:

MOP
07-19-2003, 01:38 PM
I think any reasonably fast single engined I/O or OB deep v handles about the same. They all walk up on the prop in turns and all need tabs. Actually in my eyes there are very few mono hulls that do not benefit from tabs and the right prop.

riverrat
07-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Hey Y.. Welcome to the board!! you will hear some good & some bad stuff as you post.. I think it is advisable to take it easy & learn the handling of your setup. I have a '18 with the 300 hp 350 and it took me the better part of a year to really learn the boat. These are great boats but you need to be very carefull with them. and if you are carrying people with you they should be warned of the strange handling that these boats produce. Anyhow, that's my 2 cents on this subject.
enjoy your new boat.. I'm sure you will!! they are one of a kind & you will recieve many thumbs up from other boaters. be sure & get with "Mad Poodle" on that trim stuff. he has a wealth of knowledge about these boats.