PDA

View Full Version : 1973 18' 2+3 OUTDRIVE

Ted S
01-11-2001, 02:01 PM
Hi guys, I'm new to this site and I need some help identifying the outdrive on my recently purchased 1973 18' 2+3. It say's Kiekhaeffer Mercury on it but it's unusual looking. There is no water pickup in the lower housing, [it's on the transom]. The lower housing is much longer than any other mercruiser I've seen and it has nosecone on the front end. I've tried to post a picture on this site, but I don't know how. If anyone wants to see the picture, tell me how to post it or e-mail me and I'll e-mail it to you. Thanks

BigGrizzly
01-11-2001, 06:26 PM
That is a TRS drive ptobably eith a electric shift and a bob's machine shop nose cone.

Forrest
01-12-2001, 08:27 AM
But could it be an old Mercruiser II? You know, the one with no thru hub exhaust provision, uses an prop cone nut, and the transom plate is shaped like a stop sign. Those were in production up to about 1972/73. Lets see a picture!

------------------
Forrest

Forrest
01-12-2001, 05:30 PM
Wow Ted! This must be the first stern drive speedmaster lower unit Merc ever made. What you are looking at is a Mercruiser II upper and transom assembly, and a speedmaster lower unit. It should work well . . . only problem, parts are going to be tough to find, but it's a keeper . . just don't abuse it!!!

http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/bo/bowtiekid/outdrive.jpg

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 01-12-2001).]

BigGrizzly
01-12-2001, 06:06 PM
You got it Forrest I havn't seen one of these in 20 years. It is definatly a keeper. check out the X dimention on that baby. One Lucky find.

Randy

Ted S
01-12-2001, 07:01 PM
Forrest, I found a complete Mercruiser II outdrive, cheap. I dont know what size engine was in front of it. Should I grab it for a spare? Are Mercruiser II's hard to get parts for or both them and the speedmaster lower units?

Ted S
01-12-2001, 07:18 PM
I forgot to mention this before, thank you!! I spoke to a lot of people about this outdrive and nobody Knew what it was. Then I found this site. Everyone here has been extremely helpful.
Ted

Forrest
01-15-2001, 08:56 PM
Ted, grab it for a spare. Parts are impossible to find for the Mercruiser II.

------------------
Forrest