PDA

View Full Version : Early Alternate Shifter Survey

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
12-14-2003, 05:36 PM
I'd like to know the build dates of any early Donzis (late '60s) that have had this shifter installed as original equipment:
http://www.donzi.net/photos/Early_Shifter.jpg
I've found this shifter in pics from the registry on some early 16s and 18s owned by Eugene Nahemow, Tony Sporer, Jonathan Blake, and Jim Proctor. Anyone else who has this shifter, please participate.
Basically, I'm trying to ascertain the approximate time frame when Donzi was installing these, as opposed to the more common Morse shifter, in their boats, so that I can more accurately date my boat, hull #18-117.

Thanks,
FR :p

BERTRAM BOY
12-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Eric,
Your barrelback is most likely a '67. I have #105. It was built in December of '66.

BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Scott Pearson
12-14-2003, 08:44 PM
Dont know if you can go by the shifter as far as a production date. Donzi used whatever they had avalable at the time. Or whom ever Donzi could use at the time. Look at the way the early boats where cored. Some just have PVC used on the decks. Some plywood and some Balsa. So....I guess you get the point.

(NJ)Scott

mattyboy
12-14-2003, 09:02 PM
no core come on guys you're pulling my leg wink :p :D
everybodies shifter is different right??

Matty :p wink :D

12-14-2003, 10:11 PM
Thanks Cliff. That narrows it down a bunch. Just out of curiosity, is yours a triple hatch? And, does it have the battery compartment molded into the rear seat?
Scott, I'm just trying to do a little detective work by examining trends, and other cues and clues. I'm hoping to narrow down the approximate build date of my hull, in the absence of finding a written date anywhere in the hull. Perhaps when I remove the deck it will reveal itself.

BillG
12-15-2003, 07:57 AM
Mine is a '66, Morse shifter, three hatch, fore deck is plywood cored, rest is balsa cored. Battery is held in a tray under the rear seat but closer to the front of the engine.
Bill G

Greg
12-15-2003, 08:54 AM
I have the same shifter in mine except my handle isn't chrome. Mine is a '66-18' single hatch. It was built in Sept. and I think the # is either 79 or 97 I can't remember which now. (Its that short term memory thing you know.)

BERTRAM BOY
12-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Eric,
She's a single hatch with the battery box molded into the rear seat. Some other places to find writing are, on the outside of the strigers, on the back side of the ski rack, on the bow eye backing block, and of course, behind the dash.

Bill G, Are you sure your core is plywood?

Tony
12-15-2003, 08:19 PM
That is also my shifter, but without the chrome handle.
Hull # 16-420, '67 Ski Sporter.

mattyboy
12-15-2003, 08:27 PM
I bet mine had one like that but was replaced with a Chrysler shifter and a SS plate was made to cover the hole it has a donzi logo in the hub of the shifter
67 16 hull 410

Matty

BillG
12-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Bertram Boy
The foredeck and the ribs under it are plywood. The side decks and the aft deck is balsa cored.

Bill G

BERTRAM BOY
12-16-2003, 08:49 PM
Bill,
How would they bend the plywood to the contour of the front deck?
I'm just curious, because I've never heard of any boat builder using plywood for a core material.

12-16-2003, 09:18 PM
Okay, so Greg's is a September '66.
Tony and Matty, have you guys found any dates written inside your boats?

mattyboy
12-17-2003, 07:58 AM
I believe Tony has some original paperwork on his,
the only dates I found were on the ABBCO gas tank
DEC 1966( and when it came out of the boat it looked like a 1936 tank eek! ), mine was an eaton boat, I think Tony's might be one of the first ones with the volvo 200 series on it, had a winshield like Tony's, has no core like Tony's , same vent arrangement has Tony's I bet they were in the plant at the same time in different stages of construction.
My 16 was repowered in FEB of 69 by holman moody
in Palisades CA for the owner Name TALMADGE
it's stamped on the engine and it is on that paper work I have from holman moody
They took out a 289 and eaton and put in a 351w and a volvo 250.
Brownie might be able to shed some light on this info
hope that helps, The 16 Jerry Eisele had/has? looks very similar
Some day I hope to get to met Tony and let the boats sit side by side again wink Too bad he's a red wing fan :p wink :D

Matty