PDA

View Full Version : H2O on the wrong side!

James Adcock
07-14-2003, 01:48 PM
HEP ME !!!! PLEEZE!!! Hello everyone. Well, I finally got my boat in the water this weekend. MAN!!! What a hoot! Anyways, I have a slight problem. It appears my boat is leaking water around the gimbel into the bilge. Anybody out there want to tell me its an easy fix? Please!
No, Really. Any experiences with or knowlage of this problem you would care to share? Once Again, Thanks Dudes, Jamie
Forgot to mention: Its an 1983,18-2+3,350/260hp with an Alpha 1.

Cuda
07-14-2003, 04:35 PM
It's most likely one of the bellows, either the shift cable bellows or the drive bellows. Pray it's the shift bellows! Both can be done without removing the drive, but after doing a shift bellows, I'd hate to tackle the drive.

James Adcock
07-15-2003, 06:22 AM
Cuda, I wish thats what it was. The bellows that is. I hate to say it but, I know its leaking around the gimbel at the hull. You can see it inside the engine bay. Jamie

mikev
07-15-2003, 06:39 PM
there is no seal for the gimble if it is leaking your transom is probably flexing because it is getting soft, and allowing the water to leak in. have someone put it in reverse and back it up in the water if it leaks worse this is the case. you can also tell by knocking on your transom around the outdrive and it should sound solid if it sounds hollow its rotted out. I sure hope for you that it is not becuase that not a fun project at all.