PDA

View Full Version : Problem?

Cuda
07-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Do you think this indicates a problem?
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jgriffbat.jpg

Ed Donnelly
07-13-2003, 05:51 PM
No problem that I can see. Just normal wear and tear on a pair of 100 yr. old batteries...Ed

Cuda
07-13-2003, 06:51 PM
The hundred year old battery on the right has one trip on it.

penbroke
07-13-2003, 07:37 PM
Looks like a symptom of a larger problem to me.

Is it solved yet?

Frank,
Been wondering how you were making out.

Cuda
07-13-2003, 08:26 PM
Not yet, but I hope to have time to solve it tomorrow.

BUIZILLA
07-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Just my opinion, but I have seen that before where the plates came loose inside the case of automotive batteries and created a dead short when amperage load was applied. It looks like it hit both of your negative posts, so it appears to be a dead short on the ground side. Another reason why surveyors will flunk inspections if ANY automotive parts are discovered, and insurance compnaies will NOT pay claims for such use.

Are your batteries marine specific?

J

longbow68
07-13-2003, 10:37 PM
Hey Cuda.I am still new to boating and my boat did the same thing first time out.Someone had straight wired the buldge pump to the battery,when doing so they left a lot of extra wire that caused the switch to stick an the pump ran the whole time.I have fixed that problem and after patching the hole in the batt it is working fine.Ran 5 hrs Sat and an hr today.

longbow68
07-13-2003, 10:58 PM
are the batteries switched or do they run separate circuits.Is the volt gage working?If so is the alt charging properly?When it happened to me the voltage was running almost 15.The constant draw over heated the ground post and melted the stud out of the battery.

knots2u
07-14-2003, 12:53 AM
Who did the wiring? Did you just add the second battery? Batteries in tandem are tied together by one wire. + on one to - on the other.

Cuda
07-14-2003, 05:45 AM
They are both marine batteries wired through a Perko switch. The only thing non marine is the soleniod, which to me appears to be the same one's they originally rigged it with. All the problems began after one starter was replaced. Keep in mind, I have a guide right beside this engine to use to be sure it is wired correctly, it's a twin engine set up. I have decided that since the only thing I changed originally was the starter, that although I find it hard to believe, the starter must be defective, shorting to ground. I'll take the starter back to where I bought it today, and have them check. I hope they will give me a honest answer, sometime places are hesitant to blame something of their's, epecially if it caused damage to something else. I've been buying starters and alternators from this same shop since I was 16, and they have always treated me well. I'll go this morning and will report their findings.

longbow68
07-14-2003, 07:08 PM
hey cuda.ask them to test the amp draw of the starter.it sounds like that is were the problem is.

Donzigo
07-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Hey, Cuda, the people on this board can be "loveingly cruel", right? .......... LMAO

Good luck with the probvlem, Joe.

Richard

Cuda
07-14-2003, 08:27 PM
Took the starter back to the place I bought it. He said he found no short in it, but indications of it being hot. He took it back on the bench and said he'd change some of the things that looked like they had been hot. I'm not sure what he changed, but when I installed the starter today, I hooked up the hot lead from the battery only, and hooked a remote starter switch from it to the "s" post on the solenoid. Hit the switch, and it turned over! I'm going to take my time and get a test light to check what is getting hot one at a time before I connect them. I'm pretty sure on I'm on the road to recovery now. I think a bad rebuilt starter was my problem. I'll update again.

penbroke
07-14-2003, 09:43 PM
The starter itself is the only thing that could take all the current from the battery. If it was a problem with anything on the smaller wires they would have melted apart in seconds, well before what happened to the battery. I would bet there was a problem in the starter.

Sounds like you should be back in business soon.

Good luck with the Minx!

Frank

BigGrizzly
07-14-2003, 10:05 PM
This is nopt the answer to your problem but after working with battery companies you never should use deep cycle batteries with regular batteries. The deep cycle batteries are specifically madr to take a charge and than completly drained constantly. if used as a regular starting battery their usefull life is dramatically shortened.

mikev
07-15-2003, 11:14 AM
thats good to know randy i always wondered which one to buy when i was replacing mine in the boat now i know.

Ed Donnelly
07-15-2003, 11:24 AM
Randy,where were you 4 yrs ago? Bought 2 new deep cycle batteries for the Criterion. They lasted 2 yrs. Bought another 2 last July and 1 is shot already...Ed