PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Tinting

FJB20
06-19-2002, 08:34 AM
Just A Quick Post to Ask If Anyone Knows Where I Can get the Curved Windshield on My Z22, Tinted.
My Boat is in South Jersey and Can't Seem to Find Anyone in the Yellow Pages. Tryin to Knock Down some of the Glare. THANX!!!! FJB20

ThrillSeeker
06-19-2002, 10:04 AM
HAVE YOU TRIED YOURSELF. JUST GO DOWN TO THE NEAREST AUTO PARTS STORE AND BUY A FEW ROOLS OF TINT AND PUT IT ON. IT SHOULDNT BE THAT HARD. OR IS IT?

McGary911
06-19-2002, 06:18 PM
if you want bigger pieces of tint, try a place that installs alarms. They put tint over glass doors that they put that foil perimeter strip on. If the glass breaks, so does the strip, alarm goes off. It's easy to put on yourself, just spray some windex on the glass, peel the tint, place it over the windex, then use a squeege (credit card works good) to squeegee out the windex. Start from the middle and work your way out. Once the windex is gone, and the sticky touches the windshield, it is stuck.

McGary

clayman
06-20-2002, 09:24 AM
Well, since I used to tint for a living , I thought I would put my two cents in. Always use soap and water. Palmolive works good. No windex with amonia. get a spray bottle, put some dish soap in add water. Spray the OUTSIDE of you window to be tinted. carefully lay your precut to lenght tint out on to the window. carefully cut and trim to fit with STAINLESS snap off blades. I always snap a new blade after almost every cut. A dull blade will permently gouge the glass , not good. You can use your fingernail as a guide, and run it along the seal or metal edge of the window with the blade between them to make nice clean cuts. Ok, clean the inside of the window really good, use a flat straight razer blade to clean off any glue, or old stuff. clean it again, dirt is you enemy. Spray the window with the soapy water, peel the tint,spray the tint a little, and carefully take it to the window, and place it on. You can move it around a little, then squeegge out the water and the bubbles from the middle to the edge. if the window is curved , you might get "fingers". these spots where the tint rolls up off the glass because of the curve, and it looks like a finger. squeege them from the inside out to the edge. You can apply some heat with a heat gun to the OUtSIDE of the window to help lay those down. Last but not least, buy good tint. Do even bother with the crap at HD or DIScount Auto. Find a tint supplier, they will usually sell you a small roll. And it will go on better, and last a hell of a lot longer, and won't turn purple like the cheap crap.
James
P.S. USe this same soapy water to apply any sticker, especially those Donzi stickers. works great.

Tidbart
06-21-2002, 06:44 AM
Thanks Clayman.
I was thinking of getting my girlfriends car windows tinted, now I may do it myself.
This Florida sun can be brutal.
Bob