PDA

View Full Version : HARBOURMASTER!...got your boat yet???

oldLenny
06-18-2002, 10:05 PM
Out of curiousity, have you got it yet?. If not, then when is the "happy day"? I want to hear your comments on this, the ride, the joy etc!!!

Lenny :)

harbormaster
06-19-2002, 08:00 AM
Finally! After a month of hassles, the boat transport left Michigan last night at 7pm. It should be here in Houston between 6 and 9 pm tonite. I couldn't sleep last night. Tick Tick Tick...

I bought this boat sight unseen,from just photos. I paid a mechanic to check out the boat/motor and outdrive. Is that crazy or what? My wife probably thinks I am nuts but has been real supportive. How many guys get a boat trailer for an anniversary present?

Well the boat is a 1995 white w/blue stripe 18 classic, with a 350 mag. It is sitting on a new tandem aluminum trailer (also sight unseen). The trailer is probably already worn out. It was towed from Florida (where it was built) to Michigan and then from Michigan back to South Texas.

After this pans out I have some good connections to share with you guys on trailers and boat transport.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/ACF2CF.jpg

Ranman
06-19-2002, 08:44 AM
Scot,

If it's any consolation, I also bought my boat sight unseen and had it towed to Michigan (from Texas no less). I also paid to have it surveyed prior to wire transferring full payment to a stranger. Talk about nerve racking. When the boat arrived, I was a bit nervous and had some buyers remorse because it wasn't exactly what I had built up in my mind. Upon closer inspection, I found some things I didn't like although they were just minor issues. After a couple of days of cleaning and repairing the problems, (which were found in the survey) the boat started to grow on me. I can say today that buying that particular Donzi is one of, if not the best purchase I have ever made. You were wise in having it professionally inspected. I will be willing to bet that in a few days you will be pleasantly surprised.

On another note, when you get your boat, look at the seat frames. My 96 and 97 both were originally equipped with poorly designed cast aluminum seat frames. Consequently, I broke the frames on the 96 and the 97 's were broken when I took delivery. The new Donzi's now come with a much stronger extruded aluminum seat frame. I weigh 255lbs and have had no problems. If your new boat comes with the old style frames, do yourself a favor and get the updated units (about $45 ea) and are a direct replacement. If you rely on the original cast units, you will break them and it will ruin your day.

Anyway, glad to hear it's on it's way. Post comments when she's in your hands.

P.S. "Winni Trash"? That's low. I'm not even from Winni, I guess I must be guilty by association. :)

boldts
06-19-2002, 09:11 AM
Scot,
That background scenery in the picture sure looks familiar! Sales person's name wouldn't happen to be David Weiss at Ski Sensations would it? Maybe all of MI looks like that. LOL Beautiful 18 Classic. You definitely picked the right colors in my book! Watch out for Mr. Root up there in MI! Your Classic may be on a truck to his house since I think I read a post about him wanting to sell his 16 for a 18? Just kidding Jamie. Congratulations Scot and good luck with her. :)

ThrillSeeker
06-19-2002, 09:30 AM
Hey congrats on the classic. I have always wanted to own a classic of my own. they are the cats a** of small rough water boats. Its like a corvette, you have your wanna bees, like the mustang, and the camaro, but they dont compare to the corvette. The classics are the corvette of boating!!! :D

harbormaster
06-19-2002, 11:03 AM
Just got a call from the transporter, The boat is now in Mississipi. Should be here around 8 pm

Rootsy
06-19-2002, 11:09 AM
now scott!!! i wouldn't do that, well maybe just a test drive ya know :D ... can;t let anyone get there and be disappointed cause something is wrong! and yes... the 16 is going going going... well it is in the process of going... so sometime SOOON thereafter an 18 best be coming coming coming or i am gonna be grouchy for a long time!!! just have to find the correct boat for the correct price in the correct configuration... which is easier said than done unless i go over and see david and his calculator and his sales brochure... and his ink pen and my signature... btw, i went and sea trialed heather's boat last night...

RH
06-19-2002, 11:59 AM
Congrats Harbormaster! Looking like a great boat. I know the feeling. I bought the Hornet through the eyes of the surveyor and digital photos. I was tickled with the Hornet and still am thrilled with it. Good luck on staying cal today! Can't wait to see more pictures of your new ride!
RH

tamburello
06-19-2002, 04:15 PM
Enjoy the new ride! I have a '94 with the same color scheme. Mine looks identical to your with one exception. What is on the starboard side of the cockpit side between the driver seat and the rear bench? It looks like a speaker.

harbormaster
06-19-2002, 07:18 PM
5:15 pm Passing thru Hammond Louisiana

RedDog
06-19-2002, 07:33 PM
Its 7:30 CDT - 1/2 hour away. Do you have the champagne iced and ready?

Congratulations!

This is like sitting in the birthing center waiting on your first little one :D

Dr. Dan
06-19-2002, 07:42 PM
Scott, Very Cool, Can't wait to see ya at some Rendevous with the new Toy :D Liz and I will raise the almighty "Shot Class" courtesy of that way word Chopper Pilot, and toast you and Kim and your new Donzi....now the fun really starts! :p ....Doc

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-19-2002, 08:23 PM
HARBORMASTER, our hat is off to you.
CONGRATS...
I just told Nancy about this thread and we are both very VERY Happy for you.

Bryan & Nancy

Dr. Dan
06-19-2002, 08:54 PM
HMMMMMMM????? Can You Say South Padre? :D Now your talkin! eek! ...Doc

Tomahawk
06-19-2002, 09:43 PM
Looks great Scot. I really like the way the 18 looks with the windshield. Congratulations. Lake Eufaula is not THAT far away! wink

harbormaster
06-19-2002, 09:58 PM
9:55 pm CST. Tick Tick Tick

Hmmm Where the heck is he????

Stix Magill
06-19-2002, 09:58 PM
Scot,
Your pic looks great! I hope you love it as much as I would! Really clean dash and windshield style.
Give us an update. :)

Stix Magill

Special K
06-19-2002, 10:23 PM
What a long day. Scot couldn't sleep last night, went to work early, called me every 30 minutes to give me updates, and came home early to drive everyone on the block crazy waiting for his boat. One neighbor called and said the boat was being held hostage in Lake Charles. Well, the ever so talkative Harbormaster actually hung up on them! Now, that's a first! He's so wound up tonight, we watched Christopher Lowell without an argument. Well, I think he is sleeping outside with the mosquito's tonight. He REALLY believed the transporter would be here at 9:00. For the love of Pete, somebody - HELP!
http://www.donzi.net/photos/waiting.jpg

oldLenny
06-19-2002, 10:56 PM
Scot,...maybe an epidural would help at this point. 10:50 pm at your place now...Hmmm

Let us know if it is a boy or a girl and the name you guys picked out...it's not everyday that you get a 2400 LB baby :D

roadtrip se
06-19-2002, 11:01 PM
I'm with you in spirit Scott...

Post some pictures when she rolls in.

Man I'm gald we didn't have to do that
world tour, but I hope everything shows
up in one piece.

Todd

"Welcoming another Donzi to Texas"

Formula Jr
06-19-2002, 11:03 PM
LMAO Dorothy. Thank you for Sharing.... :D

harbormaster
06-20-2002, 12:49 AM
12:15 am.

Its here!. Its dark but from what We can see it looks good. Blue stripe is a tad oxidized, the stereo is non existant, and Randy we WILL be buying 2 new seat frames. They will need replacing. So far with the deal We got, I can live with these nits.

I am a happy camper. If you need a good person who is very very reasonable to transport a boat or trailer, I've got your guy!!! Henry and his wife took good care of the boat. 1500 miles in 28 hours. Let me know if you need his number.

The trailer looks freaking awesome. tandem aluminum with diamond plate fenders. Oh well,
I have to try to get some sleep so that I can go to work tomorrow and pay for this new toy.

nite nite

ToonaFish
06-20-2002, 12:59 AM
Even more exciting than the new boat... you mean there really is a Dorothy???? "Yes, Virginia, there is a Dorothy."

Since the HMaster has been quiet for an hour, wanna make bets that he is currently sitting in his CLASSIC in his driveway making VROOM noises? You are going to soooo love this boat... I'd be green with envy if I weren't so red with sunburn.

Went out on Allatoona today with a buddy on his new-to-him project boat. Had just left the ramp idle zone when one of those moments occured that try a Southern Belle's magnoliahood. Drilled into us on our Mammy's knee is to always make a fuss over someones' new pride and joy. I had already made appropriate noises about the great value that the boat was, and about how a little bit of elbow grease would return the pink boat to her former red glory, and that it was a good thing for insurance/tube towing/maintenance to possess a four cylinder engine.

Then it happened. What should pass us moments after launch, but a DAMNED DONZI. Not sure who it was (CB&V?), but it took every ounce of strength I possess not to chase it down and perform the Donzi Navel inspection. My poor friend was forced to watch me drive his new boat with my head cranked around trying to catch another glimpse of the Classic.

This is a sickness. I need help. Scot Van Alstine is my enabler. My Southern gentility is at stake. I NEED A DONZI BAD!

Bunches,

Celene 'so how much is Scot's old old Donzi in the window?'

P.S. And, you know, when someone is making a fuss over your Donzi, you have the satisfaction of knowing that they really, really mean it!

ToonaFish
06-20-2002, 01:06 AM
WHHHHHOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!

Our Skipper's Minnow has arrived this fateful night! Any chance of bumming a ride for a three hour voyage?

GEOO
06-20-2002, 05:37 AM
Scot,

When's the maiden voyage??
That's Great!!!! ENJOY :p

CnV & Family
06-20-2002, 08:09 AM
Yes, that pic was soooooo funny. But I'd have been out there too... without a doubt. :D

Congrats Scot!!!

Man... busted by the poodle. What gives? Okokok! We'll register our boat for jimmenys sake! I just wanted to be registry entry number 750... and not to mention I need a digital camera. :p

Toona... our boat has yet to venture beyond Lanier. Recently, it has yet to venture off the trailer. I've got to pick up a new battery. :rolleyes:

Donzigo
06-20-2002, 08:38 AM
Congratulation, Scot. Richard

mattyboy
06-20-2002, 11:01 AM
:cool: :cool: :cool:

nice ride Scot!

matt

EricG
06-20-2002, 11:05 AM
Congrat's Scot!!

I can't imagine the excitement.....heck, I keep running to the mailbox just to see if the $5 ebay Donzi Ad I bought is here yet.......waiting for a boat would probably kill me.

Keep us posted!

EG
Doesn't someone else on the registry own a boat that hasn't been delivered yet....seems like I remember something about that. Maybe I'll remember this weekend.... :rolleyes:

Bandit
06-20-2002, 02:05 PM
Scott, I'm glad to hear your puppy made it home!!! :)

harbormaster
06-20-2002, 02:12 PM
Here is a photo I shot during lunch. RiverRat and I met for lunch and fired it up. It started with no problems and ran flawlessly.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/driveway.jpg

smoothie
06-20-2002, 02:28 PM
Lookin good harbormaster,Keep the pics coming :cool:

Sagbay32
06-20-2002, 02:58 PM
Congratulations on your new "Child".
Looks beautiful!

Did you follow my link to Zinner? I have never delt with them yet, but I thought they made a nice trailer.
How was their pricing?

RickSE
06-20-2002, 03:01 PM
Congrats. I agree nice beefy looking trailer.

So the boat came from MI but has FL registration?

McGary911
06-20-2002, 04:05 PM
A fitting ride for the harbormaster! Don't shoot your eye out wink

Good luck with it,

McGary

Last Tango
06-20-2002, 04:25 PM
I loved the empty garage shot in the dark!!!!!
Congrats on the new baby!!! She's a real pretty looker! Intersting that the FL registration ended up in MI and now TX. But I have the feeling she will see FL waters again when the factory does their annual thing this fall. Beam her down, Scotty!
Mark :cool: (Supreme SEADOG)

KMLFAMILY
06-20-2002, 04:30 PM
Congrat"s Harbormaster,Looks real good ! One tip, when you go to register her.Be real nice to the person at the window and see if they can give ya a low # with your intials maybe.

Gearhead99
06-20-2002, 05:40 PM
Very nice looking. Trailer is awsome looking too.

Good luck.

And I know that you sat in it while it was in the driveway and made Zoom-Zoom noises !!!!!!

Brad Lyon
06-20-2002, 05:57 PM
Congrats Scot.....

She looks real nice.

Brad

harbormaster
06-20-2002, 06:41 PM
Many Thanks to Sagbay for the referral to Zimmer marine. Steve Zimmer hooked me up with a nice trailer with no hassles. He even got his delivery guy to deliver the boat and trailer for an excellent price.

RH
06-20-2002, 07:16 PM
Congrats on the new toy in your life! It is always thrilling to see friends get the toy of their dreams! I know I would have a hard time sleeping of working last night knowing that badboy was somewhere close!

Shanghied Again
06-20-2002, 09:22 PM
Scot. The best of luck with your new boat, She is one great looking boat. Now you are truly the Donzi harbormaster! :D

Extreme Measures
06-20-2002, 09:34 PM
Scott. The boat and trailer are both very nice looking unit.All the best with your new toy.
Your friends in boating
eek! Extreme Measures :cool:

CDMA
06-20-2002, 09:37 PM
Scott now you can school Stevie marr on how to REALLY drive a boat wink

Maybe Mike Miller too....

oldLenny
06-20-2002, 10:20 PM
Nice boat Scot!

Have fun with it,
DRIVE it,
Love it,...
Glad to see it worked out for you!

Cheers, having a toast to your new boat right now!!!(in spirit)

Lenny :D

harbormaster
06-23-2002, 10:36 AM
Don't know if it floats yet. I took the front buckets out and the cast aluminumseat mounts were all broken and just fell apart.(That'll teach me..) SO I spent the last 2 days scrubbing the boat bilge, icebox, battery, and engine compartments. Can you say "Simple Green"? It works wonders. Everything is sparkly white...

I going to get the truck wired for the trailer today and am filling out the paperwork to transfer the boat over and get TX numbers. I am dying to get it in the water, but I don't want to rush it when the boat is not ready. Does this sound weird? I only live 10 minutes from the boat ramp. I was in the boat last night putting on the cover when I heard something big in the lake really haulin'. It was like it was calling to me... I cannot wait!

Right now I am ging to find where the horn is because it does not work..

Bad-Tat
06-23-2002, 04:27 PM
Scott,
Great looking boat!!! If it's like Bad Tat there is no horn!!

harbormaster
06-23-2002, 04:29 PM
There is one bolted up under the foredeck...

Bad-Tat
06-23-2002, 04:35 PM
Scott,
Sure wish mine had one up there. Now all you have to do is crawl under there and see what's up!! When is spash time?

harbormaster
06-23-2002, 07:12 PM
Splash day will probably be the evening of the day the seat sliders get here. (Probably the 25th or 26th)

Rootsy
06-23-2002, 07:27 PM
ya know... waiting for stuff you order to be delivered is like agony sometimes... i feel your pain scot... i'm waiting for 2 props to arrive... and if all goes well 3 props... i wanna play NOW!!! not wed, not thur, not fri... NOW... frown

Ed Donnelly
06-23-2002, 09:32 PM
She looks beautiful. I sat in mine in the driveway every night for two weeks before I finally put her in the water.ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY