PDA

View Full Version : gimbal ring fix

blue-z
06-18-2002, 08:48 PM
Help,
Took of the drive and started disassembly to shim up my worn gimbal ring. I am going to have a buddy at a shop do all the dirty work of fitting the shim. This is the easy part. The big "Q" is...do I have to unbolt the gimbal assembly housing that is bolted to the back of the boat and is this a big deal? I cannot realistically imagine getting to that steering shaft cross bolt and crown bolt without doing so. Can somebody post tonight on the basics and any hassles I might run into? Much appreciated gang.

Stay vertical unless it is appropriate to be horizontal!!!and yeah Red Wings.
It does not seem like too big of a deal to remove the bolts etc. Hook me up if you can cause I want to get dirty tomorrow.

harbormaster
06-18-2002, 10:00 PM
Blue Z,
Hows about telling us what boat/engine/outdrive combo you are working on. It might get you help sooner...
:D

Forrest
06-19-2002, 11:27 AM
The basics:

1. Get Mercrusier Shop Manual
2. Remove engine
3. Remove inside transom plate
4. Remove transom assembly
5. Refer to Mercruiser Shop Manual

blue-z
06-19-2002, 02:11 PM
Sorry gang,
It is a Bravo 454-330hp. I found out that there is a kit that gives a template to drill out the transom assembly on the side, knock-off the nut that holds it on top and enables one to un-do the cross bolt. Then it is tapped and plugged.

Went to a marine shop and a guy was actually doing one. He was very nice and showed me the way. He was working on a salty dog and it was labour intensive. He said mine should be easier because it is clean. Love those trailered clean old boats!!

Will get busy tonight.
Thanks to all who replied.