PDA

View Full Version : New Owner in Colorado, C18' is in Dallas, Looking for a tow.

DonCig
07-10-2003, 08:50 PM
I just bought my first Donzi this week, 1997 Classic 18' 300HP Bravo 1 named "Catch Me If You Can". Great previous owner in North Dallas. Boat is looking to hitch a ride from Dallas to Denver. I hear it is hot in Texas and that you like to come to Colorado to play in the summer. Here is your chance to have me pay for the gas. I live between Colorado Springs and Denver and I belong to one of the best private golf courses in existence. "Hint, Hint". My thanks to Ranman for his help on props! I am sure I will have to own a 5,000' prop and a sea level prop.
I found the boat on .boattraderonline.com referenced on this website.
Link below:

Thanks, Don

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/1/2/48764412.htm

Ranman
07-11-2003, 08:09 AM
First off, congratulations on the new boat and welcome to the board.

That is the exact same power package that I have in my boat (except mine is a 1.65:1 Bravo). It's a hell of a package at sea level and should be a strong runner for you. I'm curious about the paint job. That does not look like something that would have come out of the factory (but you never know). The deck stripe is way narrow, the boot stripe is missing and the Donzi logo on the back has been replaced. Was this boat repainted or re-gelled that you know of? Is there any info from the previous owner on the paint scheme? Again, congrats and we are here for you. wink

mattyboy
07-11-2003, 08:29 AM
Don,
welcome and good luck with the boat, you'll love it!!

hey Randy are you trying to start another heated discussion????? the older classics have a thinner stripe than the newer classics with the windshields :p wink :D ( OOOPS DID I SAY THAT OUT LOUD!!!!!)
I did notice the differences in the paint scheme as well, interesting I kinda like it! looks like it might have docking lights up front was that a factory option??

Matty

Barry Phillips
07-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Nice boat Don, she looks somewhat custom with the retro narrow deck strip, and the matching Donzi decal, nice clean look. Are you sure it's a 97, I had a 98 which I orderd in May of 97. Your dash layout with the chrome bezeled VDOs is the same as my 98. The 97s used all black VDOs and a different dash panel. I am curious as to when it was built, It must be a really late 97 or a 98. In 99 Donzi began installing a metal panel and Gaffrig 2s, so the chrome VDOs lasted a year, I thought they looked great. Great looking package, nice trailer. Good Luck.

SO-SLO

Ed Donnelly
07-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Enjoy Don,I love the whole package. The lack of the stripe really shows off the lines of the boat.Hope it gets out to you soon...Ed

DonCig
07-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments on my new 18'. The current owner told me that he custom ordered this boat from Donzi with the 4" stripe and no decals. Serial # DNAC8026E797. redsky has convinced me that I need to attend the Texas Roundup this Sept., so the Texas crowd will get to see the boat.

Thanks,

Don

Ranman
07-11-2003, 12:14 PM
MY boat is a 1997 with the exact same dash (chrome bezels) and power package. Hull number is DNAC8015J697. Does this mean your Donzi is 100 boats newer than mine?

DonCig
07-11-2003, 12:19 PM
Ranman, lets meet halfway between Detroit and Denver for a little grudge race? This should give us both enough time to add hidden nitro bottles disguised as fire extinguishers!

Don

boldts
07-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Don,

Welcome to the Donzi family and the Registry. What a beautiful Classic and if I didn't live in Ohio, I'd be proud to tow that Donzi to Colorado for you. I currently own a 22 Classic, but if I were looking for a 18, I'd want it done just like yours. I owned a blue and white 1969 18 Classic with no windshield before our 22. It is sooooo clean looking and the trailer adds to the look perfectly.

Good luck with her and if you ever find a need for a cross country tow, come join us on Lake Cumberland in Kentucky at the end of May.

EricG
07-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Congrats on the new boat - That one really caught my eye when I saw it listed too!!

The way I read your serial #'s,
8026 # 8015 - Hull Numbers 11 apart.
E7 & J6 - Manufactured in May of 1997 and October of 1996 respectively
97 & 97 - Both are 1997 model years

The winter must be a slow production time, since it appears they only made 11 18's between October and May? Then again, how many do they make a year total?

EG

Ranman
07-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Thanks Eric! I did not know how to intrepret the hull numbers...until now. :D .

Looks like I got one of the first or early 97's since it was manufactured in October of 1996.

Barry, keep a mental note of this since my boat did originally come with the chrome bezel VDO's. I also owned a 1996 for a short while that had the black VDO's and a very large instrument panel. Don't know what month it was built though.

Just read the actual ad. The 75+ is a bit optimistic in my eyes. This is more of a 68-70 MPH boat.

DonCig
07-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Previous owner said 75 mph on spedo, not GPS. I am flying down to Texas on the 26th of July to take it out for a afternoon run before I haul it back to Colorado. I will post the GPS on the 28th of July.

Thanks to all.

Hotspare
07-12-2003, 04:11 PM
Don ....... Welcome Aboard !!!!!!!!!!!! Sound's like you found a nice Boat here in Big D ....... Not sure if I know this one,,,, only a few 18 Bravo's around ...... Sound's like your in good hand's though ........ But in the event you would need something during your stay, don't hesitate to call .... b.donze2@verizon.net ........ I work weekends though :mad: otherwise I'd meet you guys at the ramp and introduce myself .......... Where are you guy's going to demo anyway ????? In North Dallas, My guess would be Lake Lewisville ,,,,,,, If so, be sure and have lunch at Sneeky Petes ......... Have Fun... Bruce.

DonCig
07-12-2003, 07:16 PM
Freightdog, Bruce. This 1997 18' was previously owned by David Dendy. We are testing it on a lake in ? N. Dallas with a spot called T-Back Cove. No details were given as to the activities at T-Back, but I think I have a good idea of the scenery. Thanks for the offer of assistance. Any chance you are going to the Texas Roundup?

Don

DonCig
07-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Freightdog, Bruce. This 1997 18' was previously owned by David Dendy. We are testing it on a lake in ? N. Dallas with a spot called T-Back Cove. No details were given as to the activities at T-Back, but I think I have a good idea of the scenery. Thanks for the offer of assistance. Any chance you are going to the Texas Roundup?

Don

DonCig
07-12-2003, 10:43 PM

Don

farmer tx
07-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Don, Keep me posted on the development of the
18. And yes Bruce BETTER be at the Texas Roundup
II.
He has a boat this year.

Later,
Mark

DonCig
07-12-2003, 11:21 PM
Mark, Is Darrell good for the two 1.5" Texas Aged Ribeyes that he has offered to exhchange for some of my Donzi stuff. He says he will pay at the
roundup and I do not want to ship the goods to him Monday if he is not going to show up in September.

Don

farmer tx
07-13-2003, 09:07 AM
Don,
Altus is close enough to Texas that he knows
his steaks. He's good for theme.

Mark

Hotspare
07-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Don ,,,,,, Yes I know David quite well .... Been out of touch for a while though .... I sold my MINX to him about 10 years ago ..... We've been friend's ever since ..... He went on to open Ski Dallas, which was our new Donzi Dealer ......... Yes, He know's his DONZI'S Your in GREAT HANDS !!!!!!!!!!!! I think T-BACK is on Lewisville ......... Make him by you lunch at S. Petes ......... T-Backs there to :D .............LOL. Bruce.