PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Coast Poker Run

2biguns
08-14-2002, 02:09 PM
I have been forced by my employer (oh, I forgot, I'm self-employed :D ) to go to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, Ala tomorrow to attend a Trial Lawyers' Seminar. Since we're going to be so close, Amy and I thought about heading towards Pensacola to check out this weekends Poker Run and, of course, to cheer on Magic Float's ZR.

Does anyone know anything about BAMBOO WILLIES on Pensacola Beach? It is supposed to be on the southeast side of Pensacola and is the last stop on the run. Everything else is towards Destin/Ft. Walton, although the next-to-last stop is on Navarre Beach which is not too much further.

Anyone want to join us? Regretfully this will be a land-based mission as I just don't have time to screw around with getting the boat ready to take down.

Stuart
08-14-2002, 05:33 PM
Bamboo Willies is a good place, across the street is Banana Bobs and a local dive called the Shaker Bar. Go to the Shaker and get a bushwacker. My style is a Banana wacker with Myers rum.

What are the details and when is the run to be at Willies? A lot of those guys are the big boys. My 18 is kind of small for the big sound runs.

How is the little town? My brother married a girl from there.

If you need more info call 850-982-2303, be glad to help.

Digger
08-14-2002, 06:41 PM
sounds like fun...and what a great area. :cool:

side note: try to take the time to drive on over to NAS Pensacola and check out the Naval Aviation Museum. It's the best of its kind anywhere... they even have an exact replica of the Cubi Point (Philippines) O'Club bar which they use as a restaraunt. It looks exactly as it did just before the PI closed the bases. (insert wailing sob here) frown

Magic Float
08-14-2002, 06:44 PM
Steve,the 38 almost got stopped in it's tracks today,Merc recall on possible fuel line breakage. I said I'm going anyway,they said if the boat catches fire it is your problem,we warned you.The Donzi top brass got on the phone with Merc Racing,we will have the parts Thurs AM next day air. It's good to know that in today's recall crazy world there are companies like Donzi and Merc to do what is necessary tokeep things going.The 38 ZR will roll into the coast Friday unlessUPS overnite lets us down, and they usually come thru. But it was a hectic, depressing Wed morning until we got the call on the new parts

Last Tango
08-14-2002, 07:20 PM
Although I personally will be unable to attend this event, there is a substantial group from the Jacksonville Performance Boat Club going. This includes the president of the club, Tom Dylewski, who is taking his Donzi 33ZX Daytona. Twin 500 EFI motors and a mega-stereo for the times when the music is coming from the cabin rather than the engine compartment. He should be there already.

Tomahawk
08-14-2002, 09:14 PM
June and I will be there Thursday PM. Staying at Ramada Plaza Resort in Fort Walton Beach 850 243 9161. May have some obligations but Steve, let's give it a shot for Bamboo Willies.
Magic Float- saw your boat and crew at Lake Lanier Saturday. Will look for you guys Friday. Good Luck!

Boatman
08-14-2002, 09:40 PM
We will be there in the 38zr with magicfloat. It is a great time with or without a boat. A boat lover will be in heaven with all of the beautiful works of art that attend the Emerald Coast Poker Run. As for the comment about a 18 classic being too small, there were two 18's entered last year and they drew just as much attention as the big boys :D :D

pmreed
08-14-2002, 10:38 PM
I have fond, and some not so fond, memories of the Cubi Point O club. Spent a memorable Christmas Eve at the Tailhook bar down below the main club. I don't remember much, but I was told it was memorable. eek! Woke up on the wrong ship the next afternoon...I apparently was unable to tell anyone what ship I was from, so they took me home with them.

Phil

Donzi Marine VP
08-14-2002, 11:05 PM
Hello Steve,

I will be there this weekend for the Emerald Coast Poker Run. I am not familiar with the bar you mentioned, but I do know that most of the places there cater to the pure enjoyment of folks like us!

Friday night will be a great party at The Swamp. I believe that the kick-off party will be there that night. And of course the party Saturday night for the Poker Run (not sure location, check with the rest of the group) is always quite incredible.

Look me up and say hello when you get there!

Nick Miller
Donzi

Digger
08-14-2002, 11:21 PM
Phil eek!
must have been a good night! I've got plenty of memories from the downstairs bar as well...most of which are not printable here :D

I could go for a Cubi special right about now...

David O
08-15-2002, 06:29 AM
Tom (Tomahawk)
Would love to meet up with you all if possible.
What is the schedule for the poker run. Where does it start, inbetween stops, end, etc.
Where does one find out about these events.
David

2biguns
08-15-2002, 08:56 AM
Here's a link to the Poker Run website. At the bottom of the page is a link to the stops on the run with directions by water.

web page (http://www.emeraldcoastpokerrun.com/)

It's only about 90 miles from Gulf Shores to Destin and my seminar attendance may consist of a quick jog through the Perdido lobby to drop off a check and pick up the materials. Perhaps I can find a quiet table at Willie's to study up on the latest amendments to the rules of appellate procedure wink

My top-secret plan is to get Amy and the other couple going with us so burned out on the beach Friday that they'll want a break and will agree to accompany me to Pensacola. I'll feel like Charlie getting to go to Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory!

Anyone who can make, please look for us. I'll be the big guy (6'4" 300) standing by the tall (5'10") pretty blonde with biguns. If your first though is "how in the hell did he end up with her?", you'll know you found us :p We'll be with another couple--he's a tiny little guy with long hair whose wife is very similar to Amy (if you get my drift!) Beer's on me!

Robert: If they don't get the boat fixed, I say we sue 'em for emotional distress (both yours and mine). :D :D

Digger: I aint stepping foot on a military installation in what I expect to be a heavily intoxicated condition. Running from/arguing with civilian cops gets you thrown in jail and maybe boinked on the head. Running from MPs gets you shot and/or in front of a US Magistrate. frown

Magic Float
08-15-2002, 05:45 PM
Steve,parts were there at 8AM,we were running by 10. Merc(with a little push from Steve Simon) came thru. Team MagicFloat's 38ZR leaves at 6 AM Sat.

RPD
08-15-2002, 08:11 PM
Coming from Gulf Shores by land... follow the coast road to Perdido Key, cross over to the mainland and into Pensacola... across town take the bridge to Gulf Breeze, then right and across the bridge to Santa Rosa Island...go straight about a half mile to the boardwalk on your left... can't miss it.... Bamboo Willy's is the second place on the boardwalk, right next to Hooter's.... sorry I can't meet you there but my wife is working so I'm going to Birmingham to see my daughter....

Digger
08-16-2002, 07:49 AM
Steve, roger that! good plan.

back in the 80's a friend of a friend, Student Naval Aviator, was driving back to NAS after a particularly liquid evening. As he approached the NAS gate he determined he was approaching the Pensacola beach bridge toll booth... he executed a rolling stop, threw a couple quarters at the MP sailor who he had mistaken for a toll booth coin basket, and drove off. ...insert sirens and handcuffs here... I am happy to say that he eventually got winged, which is something that would NOT happen today, in our zero defect world.

Tomahawk
08-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Uh, guess what - got decoyed by a new Bamboo Willie's in Destin. There are now two of them! Oh well - had a good time and Nick Miller did his usual fine job as MC of the Parties!

donzi2287
08-18-2002, 06:35 PM
THANKS FOR LEAVING YOUR CARD ON MY 22 CLASSIC.

donzi2287
08-18-2002, 06:39 PM
ALSO,JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT WE RAN WITH THE BIG BOYS AND WE MADE ALL 11 STOPS!!!!

Tomahawk
08-18-2002, 07:03 PM
Eddie and Barbie - you're welcome. Glad to see you found the site already. Those guys in Pensacola need some reinforcements! Nice going on Saturday as those are definitely the big boys. Unbelievable. Welcome aboard to both of you. :)

harbormaster
08-18-2002, 08:19 PM
Eddie and barbie,
Welcome Aboard!

Digger
08-19-2002, 12:45 PM
sounds like a good time!

p.s. sorry to drift off topic, I get pretty nostalgic sometimes- :rolleyes: