PDA

View Full Version : Last Chance for MINX

Dalelama
07-09-2003, 04:58 PM
Last offer to this site for a 1987 MINX

NO MOTOR... Alpha One in good shape, lots of spare parts, windshield is origional and in fantastic shape. Trailer is 3 years old. 2 covers, Bennett tabs.

Boat goes on BoatTrader next week and will sell fast... Getting out of boating. Need cash for new plane.

$5500 firm

Cuda
07-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Damnit Dale! Why did you wait until I had spent my boat money for the year? I have a sweet 355/330 horse that would slip right in there. frown

Cuda
07-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Is it on a trailer? Do you have any pics you can email me?

Dalelama
07-10-2003, 12:47 AM
Cuda-bait,

The info you requested is on it's way................ check yer email!

BUIZILLA
07-10-2003, 06:34 AM
Cuda, I don't think you'll be sorry, especially if you already have a bullet to stick in the chamber..

J

Cuda
07-10-2003, 07:18 PM
You guys are killing me! I just sold a truck and pair of jet skis yesterday, and for the first time in three years, I can actually see the road from my front door. Deb says no way, but until she starts signing my checks, I'll make those decisions.

What I am thinking of, is to pull the engine from my 20 foot Formula that I have been SLOWLY restoring for the past year and a half, and dropping it in the Minx. Then I could find just any old 305/350 and flip the Formula. I have SO much money poured into the Formula that I would never see it back anyway, and dammit, I want a Minx! Let me see if I can kick some money out of a couple of these dead beat GC's that I work for, and I will probably come down and see if it blows my skirt up! At least then I won't have to be the redheaded stepchild at the Seadogs get togethers.

Hmmmmm........wonder if I can get the engine swapped by Aug 15th????

Dalelama
07-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Cuda,

You should have no problem dropping in a SBC.... everything is is in the hangar at the airport... including the 2 extra blocks (need to go to the machinist) and ALL the EFI equipment, in perfect working order before the water/oil problem. Injectors, ECU.. ect.

I'd love to put it back together, but lost interest in the boating scene, and need better performance (and another seat) in an akro mount... preferrably a mono-plane $$$$$$

COME AND GET IT!

Cuda
07-10-2003, 09:23 PM
I just got off the phone with Donzigo. He called me about the problems I am having with my Formula. We talked for nearly and hour, and now I've got the Donzi Fever bad!

I gotta have it! I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it. I'll take it. Can you hold it for me a week or so until I can get down there? I'm jammed at work, but I WILL come and get it.

SS18
07-12-2003, 07:00 AM
Cuda,
Any progress? would love to hear.I also have Minx
hull structurally restored with new fuel cell and all original parts and sbc.New interior ready for paint and rigging.Tandem trailer too.

Dalelama
07-12-2003, 11:18 AM
Cuda-bait,

I'll hold off 'till next weekend for you.....
drop me an email for my phone.

dalelama@bellsouth.net

Will attempt to get some digital pix this weekend for your viewing pleasure.

Donzigo
07-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Cuda,

You know you want a Donzi.

Wetried the 21 Mirage, RPM's went from 5,500 to 4,500........Maybe we should go back to the 19 pitch.

BUIZILLA
07-12-2003, 06:02 PM
1,000 rpm drop with only 2" increase???

I don't think so... wink

Sounds like you had a 19" re-bent into a 17" all along huh?

J

thinkin a 20" Turbo now...

Cuda
07-12-2003, 07:28 PM
The Mirage has more cup to it. You should still give the 21 Cleaver a shot. I don't think two inches should drop it 1000 rpm, usually around 200 rmp/inch. Did you have the same load and conditions?

Donzigo
07-12-2003, 10:14 PM
Buizilla, I think you might be on to something, there.

Cuda, we will try the cleaver. If it's there tomorrow, I'll come get it.

Cuda
07-12-2003, 10:34 PM
Either Deb or I will be here most likely, I drove to Cape Canaveral to do that job, and they had the wrong color material! :mad: Turned around and drove back. 320 miles for nothing!

Are you prop testing more tomorrow?

boldts
07-12-2003, 11:09 PM
Donzigo,

Looks like you must also have a 1.36:1 gear in the drive? I find it very hard to believe a 383 Stroker is only turning a 17" pitch at 5500. Grant it, I have a BB 454, but a stock engine with a 1.36:1 Bravo1 and I'm turning a 22" Turbo1. The guys with the 1.50:1 drive are turning 24" or 25" Turbo1 props.

Nice thing about the Turbo, you can order it in a 20". No need to buy a 21" or 19" and then have it re-worked to what you need. Another thing is you won't need to then spend additional money on having the prop labbed. It is perfect straight out of the box.

Red 22
07-12-2003, 11:18 PM
There is no such thing as a 1:36 Alpha...... :rolleyes:

boldts
07-13-2003, 08:32 AM
Sorry Red. Didn't know, but I'm still very sure it's not a 1.5:1 Alpha.

BUIZILLA
07-13-2003, 08:37 AM
Cuda, when you come down here I'll show you my Minx. There are at least 5 that I now know of around here. 2 are splashable, 3 aren't...

J

Dalelama
07-13-2003, 08:41 AM
Jim,

There's my boat (powerless)and
Paulo's (BBC/Bravo conversion in progress)that are High & Dry...

Your boat(LE)and the LE hanging up around the corner from Normandy Isle...

Where's the other?

Cuda-bait... lemme know when you plan on comming, so I can set aside the time.

Dalelama
07-13-2003, 08:44 AM
Whoops... I just stepped out on the balcony... looked down at Dinner Key Marina, and realized that's there's a black Minx in there... whether or not it's "splashable" is another issue!

BUIZILLA
07-13-2003, 08:49 AM
The Grove Key boat is the fifth Dale... glad ya remembered. The LaGorce boat is now on a trailer down the street from my shop. The guy had his outdrive and trailer stolen on 2 seperate occasions, so it's secure at his warehouse now.

J

exactly where IS the GK boat? I wanna see it up close, may have a buyer for it.

Dalelama
07-13-2003, 09:16 AM
I have a 1:50 ALPHA.. so add another ratio to your list!

Jim,

Pull in to Pan American Drive.. turn left BEFORE the Hangar (was a seaplane hangar) and the black MINX is about 3 boats from the end of the fence... heading North. It is possible to go around to Scotty's / Chart House and walk thru the drive between the buildings, turn right, and it's down at the end.... CALL ME!

KMLFAMILY
07-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Dale, No need to get out of boating altogether.You just need one of these. :D (sorry about pic. size)
Also the earlier Alpha offered a 1.32 ratio(not that far off Scott B.)

http://www.donzi.net/photos/klessard43.jpg

Cuda
07-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Dale, I should be able to firm up my schedule tomorrow, and I will try to schedule a day to come down this week. I'm chomping at the bit. :)

BUIZILLA
07-13-2003, 01:02 PM
Dale, just rode by GK..

checked out the Minx LE, but the LE # sequence plate is gone? hull number 112? things kinda rough huh? WTF caused the *upwards* crack in the floor by the port side seat?? fresh factory 1.47 re-man outdrive on it too...

NICE 2001 red 22 Classic in front barn and the white/baby blue refurbished 16 outboard in the back barn knocked my socks off, frickin gorgeous boat.. PERFECT gloss awlgrip job. I WANT that 16 to give to my girls.. who owns it? I must have walked around that boat 10 times... GAWD!!!

The restored Prowler in the front corner stopped me in my tracks too. My family used to have a 32 Prowler, that one looks like a 26 or 28? and boy the memories it brought back...

Both my old 25 Contender, and my brothers old 25 Contender were on dolly's. One outside, one inside. Both of them are ice blue hulls with Yami's.

J

boldts
07-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Sorry to get off the subject, but Dalelama, the Dayton Air Show is coming up and I was wondering if you would be up to Ohio for the show?

Cuda, congrats on the purchase of a Minx. Looked at one of those that had the blue and tan color scheme new at the dealer years ago. Bought my 69 18 Classic soon afterwards at a little more comfortable price. :)

Dalelama
07-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Scott,

I'd love to check the Dayton show (100th Anniversary of Flight) but I just spent the last month with the French Aerobatic Team (were reigning World Champs) I invited them to train here for the World Championships, this year in Central Florida... they finished 2nd. Russians 1st, US 3rd. The last of them flew out yesterday morning on a Armee de L'Air C-130 Hurcules.

Jim,

That black MiNX is tired.. never looked inside. There's a nice yellow job there that Baxter is drooling over... keep it a secret! Didn't see any others... I found the MINX riding bikes by there.. almost wrecked... Look...My Dixie Wrecked!

Cuda-bait... check your email... call me and set up a time..

BUIZILLA
07-13-2003, 09:53 PM
Dale, go walk in the north barn behind the MINX, and go to the very back left corner... it's hidden with a V4 140 looper on it... your gonna crap on the spot... The Prowler is in the same barn, front wall. You know anybody there to snoop out the owner of the 16??? I didn't see the yellow 18, unless it's high up on the outside racks??

J

Islander
07-13-2003, 10:02 PM
Jim,
Call Paul, the yard manager at GK, I'm sure he knows who the owner is. I saw that 16 a few months back, it's as nice as they get.

There was a 22 classic parked next to the Prowler. Is it still there?

Manny

Dalelama
07-13-2003, 10:15 PM
Jim,

My first DONZI was a Baby 16/OB with a Merc 175... L seating... almost sank when transom started to depart rest of hull...

BUIZILLA
07-13-2003, 10:15 PM
The red 22 I saw was in the south hangar, middle row.. next to the Prowler is a stripped walkaround.

J

boy, did we hijack this thread or what :p

Islander
07-15-2003, 06:03 PM
Cuda,
Was that you driving eastbound on Bird Road (40th Street) at around 2:00 PM? I thought I saw a white and blue minx being towed in the opposite direction that I was going.

Best of luck with it.

Manny

Dalelama
07-15-2003, 08:07 PM
No Manny,

That was me dragging it out to Tamiami Airport to pick up the cushions, outdrive, motor ect... At the time ... it was still mine.

Cuda is somewhere on I-75...northbound.. with a Minx in hot pursuit!

I'm outa the boat business now. Anyone looking for a 300hp bi-plane?

BUIZILLA
07-15-2003, 08:22 PM
Dale..

ah man..

:(

J

Dalelama
07-15-2003, 08:37 PM
Jimbo,

Wait 'till you see what I've got lined up for the hangar... all I need to do is get rid of the bipe... I can even give YOU a ride! eek!