PDA

View Full Version : casual racing etiquette.

Formula Jr
08-14-2002, 12:06 AM
Oky, you spot a performance boat and want to try a run against them. You come up to their Starboard side and match speed. Now what is the true etiquette. Is there a universal hand sign for acceptance to race and decline. And do you just slowly match speed till both are at wot, or do you just stuff the throttle as soon as you know the game is on. Also, is there an informal distance - of coarse you would want to be at a safe seperation distance. For instance on a lake, a couple miles will certainly allow enough time to get all your settings straight. But in deep water, how long do you run, where driving/throttle coordination is needed. Also, what is the universal sign of "Oky, you bested me."? Is it customary to raft up later and swap boat talk? Or is there no universal proceedure?

boldts
08-14-2002, 04:53 AM
Jr. Here is what I usually do when that urge arises.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Usually starts with a look at the other boat's driver. Like :cool: <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Check who is in the boat with me unless by myself. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Check lake traffic and conditions. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Begin to throttle up and adjust trim as needed. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> If boat is settled and other boat is still running with me, it's time to find out where his top end is at. :D <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> If he still keeps pulling away from me, I usually give him the thumbs up and start to back out of it. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> As far as stopping to talk with the other boater, I recommend it if he or she is up to it. If I got beat, I follow and try to at least meet the other boater. Great opportunity to meet a fellow performance boater and what they are running under the hatch.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is my flat inland lake procedure. Lake Erie or offshore where the Donzi really comes into her own, it's more of a drivers race and a boat flying with the prop out of the water isn't progressing forward.
Now, if you really want to compete in an offshore racing environment, you can lease one of those Bat boats for $6,000 per race with nothing to do but show up, take a class, and of course lay down the dollars. If the boat breaks, you hand them the keys and go back home. No expense out of your pocket. Check out: Bat Boat (http://www.reindlpowerboats.com/)

rong
08-14-2002, 08:42 AM
Depends on who you ask? If it's the other guy, it's whatever is advantageous to him.
:rolleyes:
It's bragging rights you know! :D

mattyboy
08-14-2002, 09:27 AM
I don't mind when some one pulls along side, and wants a go provided I'm alone and no kids in the boat, I hate the nimrods that at wot come screaming right up your ass and then expect to chase them, guy did it when I had my daughter in the boat , and I just waved, and cruised away the guy keep circling me, Jamie even said what a Bozo!
I'll take any one on from a dead start for a half mile. can't loose but after that usually 50/50

Matt

yachtjim
08-14-2002, 10:54 AM
On the Chesapeake we have a fairly large expanse of water, so if you see somebody going in the general direction you are you just kind of start easing over to them and inching up the throttle, if they are interested in a race they will reciprocate by easing towards you a little more, and inching up the throttle also. Eventually one of the boats will run out of throttle and the victor will start pulling away.

Sometimes if you are going in different directions a big sweeping turn by either boat to put both boats in the same direction will let the other guy know you want to race, if the other guy doesn't increase speed then you know he isn't interested in racing.

We get in lots of races here on the bay in my brother's (Greg Maier) 22 blackhawk. Too bad the opposition rarely knows what his boat is capable of. :D It will be even better when he gets the right props.

CDMA
08-14-2002, 11:21 AM
Let candace drive your boat :) :) wink

Woodsy
08-14-2002, 12:09 PM
and a mighty fine job Candace does...... wink wink wink

Woodsy Von Donzi

GEOO
08-14-2002, 12:47 PM
Never let them know just how fast you are. Save it for the next guy. :p

HyperDonzi
08-14-2002, 12:50 PM
now i wonder what geoo would know about going fast in a boat?

CDMA
08-14-2002, 01:20 PM
Geoo then what is the deal with posting your top speed next you your name ... wink wink wink

I didn't see no 104 yesterday....

Chris :D :D

HyperDonzi
08-14-2002, 01:21 PM
he did it in his truck wink just playin

JP BRESCIA
08-14-2002, 02:04 PM
It is usually the same scenario every time.
Pull along side each other(close enough to get attention)
Head nod hello
pace the other boat for a few seconds
If he doesn't pick up the pace within 10 seconds, respectfully waive and peel away.
Always attempt to speak to each other afterwards.

Of course these are my rules and subject to change at will :D

Moody Blu'
08-14-2002, 05:51 PM
k, I usually never race cuz any real boat will beat me cuz I dont have a trim switch to play with..

once im wot thats it, no more ka poowiie puut DONE

but when it comes to baja's thats a different story. wink

generally, when you do attempt to race someone or someone attempts to race you.

casually put your hand on the throttle and keep it there...

WAIT for them to line up, if they are going a bit faster, PACE them then if you see them try to get away thats when its on...

soemtimes even a little poinitngforward gives a little hint....... wink

I usually dont stop unless its a donzi or soemthing that was a close race.

why would I stop for a baja?

usually if you dont stop and you beat everyone you race, you begin to have a peanut gallery form and when people do see you at the local boat soda bar your face should become red because of all the people talkin about your boat.... :cool:

Voodoocanoe
08-14-2002, 06:02 PM
The trick around here is a lot of guy's will give you the "Fade" as we call it. It is when you have a couple of MPH on the guy and he is starting to lose so he will start to fade away from you basically giving you the out side track making you cover more water and it usually will make up for a boat that is a couple of MPH slower, Unless you cross his wake like I do and get back on the inside and pass him anyway :D

Ranman
08-14-2002, 09:03 PM
Lee,

So that's what that's called. I've seen it many times. In fact it seems that if they can really tell your quite a bit faster, the fade is more rapid (kind of like a right turn). NExt thing you know, your racing yourself.

Email me if you're going to be on the lake this weekend. I should be heading to Muscamoot on Saturday.

HyperDonzi
08-14-2002, 10:09 PM
Speaking for all people with Baja's: we never feel the need to show off our power. when you were at wot, we were cruising.

Stix Magill
08-14-2002, 10:45 PM
This is an interesting topic and deserves discussion. Etiquette is very important in all aspects of life, especially racing powerboats. I adhere to the standard rules we have developed over the many years of racing on our humble body of water.
Some examples:
1. Don't embarass youngsters or rednecks. You might mentally scar the youngsters and you may have to kill the rednecks.
2. If you are about to be passed, swerve in front of the other boat and FLICK, FLICK, FLICK!
3. Always have the best looking girls in your boat. If you win, act like you've been there. If you don't, stand on your seat, pull down you shorts, and do the helicopter. Girls love it and it's back to the cabin from there!

That's just how we do it.

Moody Blu'
08-14-2002, 10:55 PM
LOL-stix

LOL hyper wink

HyperDonzi
08-14-2002, 11:03 PM
moody, wernt you talking about getting a supercharger last fall?