PDA

View Full Version : STARTING PROBLEM

Air 22
06-17-2002, 04:36 PM
AFTER A GREAT BUT WET WEEKENED IN LAKE GEORGE FOR THE DUST-OFF MY 22' CLASSIC DECSIDED TO NOT START AS I WAS LOADING HER TO THE TRAILER. I ONLY GET A "CLICK" WHEN I TURN THE KEY NO STARTER ENGAGEMENT. IS THIS MOST LIKELY A BAD SELINOID? I'VE HAD THE BOAT A YEAR IT'S A 1995 AND THIS IS THE 1ST AND ONLY PROBLEM. THE BATTERY IS NEW AND SHOWING 12-13 VOLTS, ALL OTHER ACCESSORIES WORK. IF IT IS A BAD SELINOID WHAT DO THEY RUN APPROX?

DWIGHT

Tommy McDermott
06-17-2002, 04:51 PM
i have the same problem with the 1990 baja. im pretty sure for ours that the problem originated when the boat sank. normally give it a few minutes and try again. if that dosent work, open up the engine hatch and i think its the throttle control(i have no idea but it moves when you push it.) push it in and out for a few minutes then try starting it again.

Air 22
06-17-2002, 07:07 PM
THANKS..IT WAS A RAINED OUT WEEKENED SO THAT MIGHT BE PART OF THE PROBLEM. THE BOAT IS OUT ON A TRAILER. MAYBE IT WILL HAVE DRIED OUT ENOUGH TO WORK NEXT WEEK.

Formula Jr
06-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Check the charging system, the state of the battery, and clean and jell your battery terminals. And check your main engine ground strap. Your starter is fine - it was clicking. Also, once in a thousand starts, the starter will shoot that little pinon gear out and hit something it should not. With manual trans cars, you just rock it in gear alittle. With boats, you may have to disconnect the primary lead and with a cheater bar rotate the engine just alittle, try to start again, and you may never face it for another 1000 starts.

Hardonzi
06-17-2002, 07:41 PM
I had the same problem everyone thought it was the batteries(NOT)2 going bad at the same time,I think not.It was the ground to the starter,just wiggled it and BAM fired right up,Formula hit the nail on the head.

MOP
06-17-2002, 11:01 PM
Most manufacturers use a stud in the bell housing for a common heavy ground. Check it atleast once a season, It I have found to be a sneaky case of no start. Even if it feels tight as hell it may not be making good contact, I pull them run in a tap and wire the stud. Just had one our handy customers do a starter and new batts and still did not want to start. I fixed it for free in twenty minutes. By the way it does not show much resistance on a meter.

mikev
06-18-2002, 10:09 AM
mine used to do that i would have to get back and wiggle the positive terminal to get it to start. i would clean it with a brush hit it with acid and it would work for a little while then the smae problem again. Finaly i just replaced the terminal on the end of the cable. best $4.00 i ever spent.

Air 22
06-21-2002, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the help...I will let you all know in 2weeks what the heck happened. Dwight