PDA

View Full Version : fuell tank sending unit

jeffg
08-14-2002, 12:00 AM
my well used 95' classic 18 needs a new gas tank sending unit, is it as straight forward as it seems, remove 5 bolts and drop in new unit, also what is the grey compound at base of sending unit and should it be replaced.

MOP
08-14-2002, 07:03 AM
The sealer has to be renewed, I think you also have a plastic tank like the 16. Not sure what they are using on them, it pays to ask someone up here knows the right stuff. Just curious did you check to see if the ground is good to the sender? Mine went bad, replaced end cleaned up and all was fine again.

Surfer
08-14-2002, 07:33 AM
Just replaced the unit on my 1985 18, after trying to get to the sender from the provided access, I realized it was much easier to get to the unit from the bilge hatch, if yours is like mine, it's easy, use the dimensions of the old unit to bend the new one.

JP BRESCIA
08-14-2002, 02:15 PM
I have a similar problem. Because the fuel gauge will work and then suddenly cut out, I think I have a problem with the ground. I followed the wires to attempt to find the sender but I cannot locate it or get to it. I have a 1980 18C.

How do you guys get to yours?

jeffg
08-14-2002, 03:05 PM
My boat is a 1995 classic 18 with a metal gas tank, I can get to the sender by removing the center storage compartment, my gauge always reads full until I have about 3 gallons left and then it starts to move Thanks for any information, I boat on Lake Michigan with the family and would hate to get stuck out there!