PDA

View Full Version : New 18 Classic owner with a question

Jagged Edge
07-09-2003, 02:02 AM
What kind of steps or ladder do you use so a skier can get in the boat from deep water. I keep loosing a lot of good friends and what's worse the skis they were using.
JE :confused:

Donzigo
07-09-2003, 06:54 AM
The outdrive fin works well.

Welcome tothe board. Where is Lakewood Ranch? Come join us sometimess in St. Pete for a run.

mattyboy
07-09-2003, 07:51 AM
welcome Jagged,
I use a one step ladder that has a rope and tie off to the grab rail I believe it is made for inflatable boats and it works well just throw a towel under it so you don't scratch up the side

Matty

riverrat
07-09-2003, 07:53 AM
none of them look right on these boats. Eddie Marine makes some cool looking stuf. but a '18 just does not look good with a swim platform. if you stand/kneel on the side the you skier is getting in on the boat will lean almost into the water, the you can help drag them .

2 cents

Ranman
07-09-2003, 08:04 AM
The way to enter an 18 Classic is from the rear. With the engine off (obviously), you climb up the outdrive (in the full down position). Place one foot on top of the lower cavitation plate while grabbing the ski tow eye for leverage. Also, just be mindful of the prop. Next, contineu up by stepping on the top cap of the drive. the last step is to step onto the deck at the transom. Once you figure it out, it really is quite easy. If you're really in deep water, I sometimes straddle the outdrive to get situated before stepping on the cav plate. Good luck.

Riley
07-09-2003, 11:37 AM
The difficulty in boarding from deep water was a contributing factor for my selling my 18' Classic in search of something bigger. Even when trying to get in and out of the boat while anchored in shallow water resulted in more than a few scraped knees and bruised shins! The problem is made worse by the fact that adding any type of ladder or swim platform destroys the lines of the Classics and just doesn't look "right". We ended up using a 1950's era folding boarding ladder that we'd hang over the side when trying to get in and out of the boat.

A serious word of warning: Be VERY careful when trying to board over the back of the boat and using the outdrive for a ladder. Wet feet and a slippery outdrive, when combined with a sharp prop is a recipe for disaster! Add in a few adult beverages and you're really asking for trouble. In fact, last summer we ended up hauling a friend in for stitches after his foot slipped off of the outdrive and he gashed his leg on the prop. I'm grateful it didn't happen in my boat, as red blood wouldn't do much for the looks of the Donzi white interior eek!

mikev
07-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Windline™ Sport/Diver Boarding Ladder is pretty cool you just mount one little bracket on your transom and the ladder just hangs off it. when you need put it out then you store it in the boat nice and clean looking. overtons sells and i am sure others do as well

Barry Phillips
07-09-2003, 11:54 AM
I used a standard 3 step hook ladder on my 18 and it worked great. Make sure it has 11" hooks to bridge the wide gunnels. I would hang it just forward of the rear seat back. Find one that folds up sideways so you can stash it in the ski tray. I have also seen them with a clip that can be installed on the deck, sort of like a clip for a fender hanger. Latter just locks into it. Mine dose not fit on my 22, the gunnels are to wide. I am thinking of a 3 step dive ladder. The bracket mounts to the transom and the ladder simply clips into it. When not in use it can be folded up and stored somewhere in the boat. The ladder angle is also ajustable and can be kicked out to clear a trim tab. Check out West Marine. I still can't bring myself to clutter up my transom.

SO-SLO

Jagged Edge
07-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Donzigo:
The outdrive fin works well.

Welcome tothe board. Where is Lakewood Ranch? Come join us sometimess in St. Pete for a run. To everyone, thanks for the tips.
Lakewood Ranch is part in Sarasota and part in Bradenton. Let me know where and when for a run. I keep the boat at Homes Beach on Anna Maria Island... I can see the Sunshine Skyway Bridge from there. I use to keep a boat at the Harborage Marina in St Pete.
Thanks
JE

harbormaster
07-09-2003, 06:02 PM
RANMAN is correct on the way to get in.
What he neglected to say is "Just be careful not to snag your swimsuit on a cleat while getting in or out." :D

Moody Blu'
07-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Harbormaster:
RANMAN is correct on the way to get in.
What he neglected to say is "Just be careful not to snag your swimsuit on a cleat while getting in or out." :D wouldnt a swinsuit rip? Oh wait, I hear those kevlar ones hold up real well :p wink

Jerry Eisele
07-09-2003, 07:25 PM
The dive ladder works great. Like mikev said, it's a real clean set-up, small little bracket on the transom, store the ladder in the engine compartment. My wife loves it!!

Jagged Edge
07-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Jerry Eisele:
The dive ladder works great. Like mikev said, it's a real clean set-up, small little bracket on the transom, store the ladder in the engine compartment. My wife loves it!! I was thinking of one of those. Do they clear the trim tab or did you have to get one of those extentions they sell for it?
Thanks
JE

Jake
07-11-2003, 11:40 AM
I remember one time someone posted a picture of a little step they installed on the transom. It was one of the ones that flip down for a small step. They are the type you see on a utlilty truck or a fire engine. They are about as wide as the width of your foot. The person put one foot on the cavitation plate, then the next step was on the flip down step, then into the boat. It did not look bad either. I think I have a utility truck around that I could take a picture of the step if anyone needs me to. Hope this helps.

Jake

mikev
07-11-2003, 12:07 PM
the bracket is ajustable so i am sure you can set the angle to clear the trim tabs.