PDA

View Full Version : Wanted,,, detailed pic's of the inside of a seastrainer

Gary S.
08-13-2002, 03:57 PM
Now that I'm back playing in a stainless fab shop, I want to make a few strainers,,, I just need to know what the "guts" look like,,,,, and how they work. Is it just like a suction difuser,,,introduced at the bottom, outlet at the top,,, using the swirl and gravity to seperate the trash ??? Any info would be greatly appricieated.

MOP
08-13-2002, 05:05 PM
Belive it or not most grades of S/S do not work well for sea strainers if you use them in salt, it has two problems, electrolisis and hydrogenization. You can bond and zinc for the electrolisis, but the hydrogonization weakens the metal. OMC corp had a bad problem with trim and tilt mounting bolts till they got modified S/S bolts. If you can get the same grade of S/S OMC and probably many others used your Ok. If you noticed all of the commercialy offered strainers are bronze or plastic. Many of the boats from Tiawan had sea chests made of S/S I replaced quite a few.

Moody Blu'
08-13-2002, 11:37 PM
my sherwood strainer has a s/s screen...

garym the strainer flows into the center of a circle, then a circular strainer covers the inside of the cup like assmelby from top to bottom, then there is a hole on the outside of the stainless strainer where the clean "strained" water is.